The Shop > Our Shop

Corrugated Garage Roof

(1/5) > >>

Shepherduke:
  I should probably be enquiring on a "Builders" forum, but here goes anyway.
My garage, which is where most of my DIY and hobby activities take place, has an asbestos corrugated roof. The problem with that is, it is freezing in the winter, and as hot as hell in the summer.  The real problem is condensation, and I wondered if anyone has a simiar problem and how they cope with it.
  Apart from fitting central heating in the garage, I'm stumped as to what I can do. I intend making an insulated  box for my lathe ( similar to the ones that covered the old sewing machines, so I hope that will stave off any corrosion problems.
Should my six numbers come up this week, I will post pictures of my new workshop ASAP, but don't hold your breath!

Andy:
My garage (which is not my workshop, unfortunately) has a roof like yours. Yes, it gets hot in summer, very cold in winter, but I never get any condensation. There are a lot of air gaps in the eaves of the roof and around the main door which I've never got round to sealing, so I'm thinking you need to look at ventilation.

Darren:
The biggest cause for wet roofs on the inside is no DPC under the floor. The water comes from underground driven by the heat (I say heat, it only need a few degree rise each day from the low night temps)
Then as this water rises it hits the cold roof forms droplets and falls.

And so the cycle starts again. Ventilation is one answer and lots of it.

The real cure is to dig the floor up and re-do it.

For the heat problem in the summer, and it will help the condensation, reline the roof on the inside with ply. Insulate it you can afford it as that will help too.

Shepherduke:
  Thank you, I'll try the ventilation theory first, as it would be cheaper if it works. 

Darren:
The trouble with ventilation while it will help is that the floor has a never ending source of moisture. As this rises it will be carried out through the vents, but it will also condense onto your machinery on the way up.

Ventilation will cut it down quite a bit as it stops the rain cycle. But it probably won't cure the problem fully.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version