Author Topic: Forming methods for aluminum volumes 1&2  (Read 3134 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Forming methods for aluminum volumes 1&2
« on: December 05, 2009, 06:15:21 AM »
Forming Methods (aluminum)
Volume One
Forming by Section & Tube Bending
Forming by Press Brake
original copyright ©1943
ITC
Bureau of Aeronautics, Navy Dept
ISBN 1-55918-376-4
copyright ©2008
Lindsay Books
Soft cover 5½"x8½'

Being a former anchor cranker, in another life. And having the benefit of at least an even dozen of the navies technical schools. I can tell you that the information contained in theses books is well worth the money.
Staring with some basic things you need to know. From by hand to conform to fixtures for small dia. tubing to forming by large press brake airplane parts. It covers everything the home or small shopper will need.

Whether it is tubing, extruded, sheet or other. It covers bending for air frame in sections. Covers the side view of the brake dies to achieve different bends in one pass.

Forming Methods (aluminum)
Volume Two
Forming by Draw Bench,Power Rolls & Spinning
Heat Treatment of Aluminum Alloys
original copyright ©1943
ITC
Bureau of Aeronautics, Navy Dept
ISBN 1-55918-379-9
copyright ©2009
Lindsay Books
Soft cover 5½"x8½'

As with volume one, Two covers the subject well with plenty of examples of the work that can be done. draw bench may be familiar to some that have done jewelery or metal smithing and used a small one to do short length needed profile of material. Only this one is 50 feet long. again with clear photo's of the cross section of the dies used and the resulting profiles of the material. In air craft it is mostly sheet stock, formed for sectional structure stock or specialized tubing.

Then it covers the use of roller dies to form profiled stock and then moves of to spinning aluminum. It does cover both areas with enough coverage that the home or small shopper can figure out his needs and do it.(think seamless on site gutter forming)

The second half is on the heat treatment of aluminum alloys, and the complete process. whether it is for structural components or the old style rivets used.(before pop rivets). Some of the material used, may be hard to come by or downright dangerous to use but the science of the aluminum's reactions and the procedures can clarify if you have to send it out to a heat treater and when you ask questions.

Both are filled with concise clear line drawings and have numerous old school B&W photos of the equipment and operations along with the necessary attendant tables and charts.

Nation builder books

Lindsay books
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:22:02 AM by PTsideshow »
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen