Author Topic: Making a Milling tool Arbor  (Read 24021 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Making a Milling tool Arbor
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 06:34:33 PM »
I decided to modify the original arbour I made to take some slitting saws that I have.

For some reason I decided to test the run out when I fitted this back onto the lathe in the 5C collet. With my dial indicator I couldn't see any movement, I checked, fiddled and checked again. Nothing  :scratch:

It couldn't be nothing as I didn't even index the part to the collet. So I changed indicators from 0.001" res to one with 0.0001 res.
Now it moved, by a whopping 0.0002". Ha, pure luck I'd put the part back in the collet at exactly the same position I thought.
So I turned the part in the collet out of pure interest and measured again .... barely 0.0001 ... I give up  .....  :med:

Anyway, the boss was turned to a very tight 1" to match the slitting saw.

And the other cutter I have with a 1" bore ..

Next I need to chop the end off, face, drill and tap 10mm for an end cap.
But before I do I thought I'd throw this out to some suggestions.

I have 5 identical slitting saw blades, they are 3" dia carbide x 0.0245" thick. I seem to remember Bogs getting some spacers and fitting several saw blades at a time to make an engine cooling fin cutter. Can I ask what your dimensions were?

Second question, the other cutter is 3" x 1/4" tipped with a keyway. Should I cut a keyway on the arbor to match or should I be able to get away without it  :scratch:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 07:11:04 PM »
Darren

Its quite obvious that the 5C collet, both indicators and the arbour are scrap. Please box them up and send to me for proper disposal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn't it nice when a plan comes together. :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

bogstandard

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 02:06:45 AM »
Darren,

I bought a range of different thicknesses of shims/spacers, so that I could mix and match to get to whatever dimension I wanted.

I can't give you the web address to order from, as they only take orders thru email after you have talked to their tech guys about what you want, but I managed to gumbeat them into taking a telephone order.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2142.msg22555#msg22555

Go a little further into the post and it shows how I set them up.

They worked out at less than 33p each all incl, and my order came to about 30 squid to get me a very good range of different thicknesses for the small dimensions I wanted to create.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 08:10:51 PM »
Not wishing to waste my first attempt at making an arbor for the tipped cutter I decided to modify it to do another job.

As it was..

Turned the boss down to a tight one inch to match a couple of cutters I have

Carbide slitting saw

And a side and face milling cutter

The end was cut off, drilled and threaded. Next job was to make an end cap to fit.
I forgot to take a picture of it assembled, but I'm sure you can guess what it looks like.

Saved wasting a good bit of material  :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 02:04:38 AM »
Nice one Darren :clap: :clap: It's great to find a use for those pieces that didnt turn out as you planned  :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME