Author Topic: Project - Well it's about time!  (Read 12897 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Project - Well it's about time!
« on: December 01, 2009, 11:32:33 PM »
So I started a project today. After considerable time away from the shop and the time I did get doing jobs for income, I finally got in the shop for something I wanted to. A few of you know that I have been ill and on Chemotherapy for the last 5 months. I am in the final month and am trying to get motivated to do something besides sit on the couch and waste away.

SOOOO, I am starting Christmas presents. Last year I was going to do this very project as a present, before I got ill. I am going to do it this year.

It is called The May Queen overdrive.. This one is going to be for my guitar crazy brother in-law.

I etched the pcb tonight. Not a big start. For me it was huge.... 1. never etched a pcb 2. actually having the strength to get into the shop. I am very happy with the results:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

Re: Project - Well it's about time!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:49:27 PM »
Good on you Eric,

The first step is always the hardest, but make sure you can walk safely before you put on your jogging shoes.

Nice start to the project.

I used to do the same sort of thing, but because I didn't have a UV lightbox, I exposed the light sensitive board and mask on a south facing kitchen window sill, a bit iffy at times, depending on how much sunshine, but it got the job done to acceptable standards (most times).

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 01:30:37 AM »
Great start Eric good to see you up and about:- every project begins and ends with a step, but the first step is always the hardest.

What acid did you use to etch the pcb and how did you mask it off  :scratch:

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:20:10 AM »
Somethin new for the BIL to fiddle with.  I'm sure it will a hit.

Would definately put the optional cap in with a socket arrangement as per the cct diagram.  Recon a variable cap would be cool if u could find one with a high enuf capacitance.

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:01:42 AM »
That looks to be a very good result on the PCB Eric and congratulations on getting back in the shop!  :thumbup:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 06:40:34 AM »
Good to see you posting projects again Eric .... a great sign I'm sure  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »
Eric,

Nice to see you up and about. Glad your feeling a bit better.

Way back before I started in the machining hobby I was interested in making circuit boards. Was going to do it as a side line. Even bought my first MS box with the design software to do it on. Never panned out. But I did make some boards, from design to finished board. The first were a dissaster. Used the bathroom in a mobile home we lived in to do the photographing. The rest I'd rather not remember.

You did a nice job on the first board. Careful with those fumes from the etchant if your using ferric chloride. Works better when warmed, but the fumes arer dangerous.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »
Good to see you back at 'er Eric!  :wave:  I played around a bit with guitar doodads in college with somewhat mixed results.  They all did something, just not necessarily the 'something' they were supposed to do.  :)  Never did get to the point of etching boards though.

Good looking start, cant wait to see hear it when it's done.

Jeff

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 02:20:51 PM »
Warm welcome back, Eric :wave:!!

You have done quite a good job with that circuit board :thumbup:.

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »
Eric, glad to see you are getting back into the swing of things.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 05:55:43 PM »
Glad you got back into the groove mate  :headbang:  first steps are always the hardest.  That's a dam good looking pcb, when you feel up to it a "how to" would be very much appreciated I'm sure ........... but sometime in the New Year will be fine  :thumbup:

Take care, good to see you around and about Eric, all the best to you and all the family.

Dave

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 06:09:33 PM »
Cool.... I haven't tried that since I was 14!!!

Couldn't get a good un then, probably wouldn't now..... That one looks really good, no thin tracks and all where it should be  :thumbup:

So when it's all done and your ears are hurting after the Xmas day demo's you'll have to post a little vid of your BIL wailing out "Hammer to fall"/"princes of the universe" (or another May classic)  :headbang:

:offtopic: ..... Love Queen.... Queen Rock!!!!!!    :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: 

Glad to see you've still got more drive than me chief!    :nrocks:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 06:23:16 PM »
welcome back mate............. :clap: :thumbup:

here's to sunnier days and smooth sailing  :beer:

chuck
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 09:15:44 PM »
Well, while looking for parts for this pedal... I found a new schematic that I think is going to work better...

So I did a little show and tell...

First things first, the PCB image is printed by a Laser Printer. Regular paper wont cut it. Some people use photo paper meant for inkjets, some use the clear overhead presenter sheets. I read on the interwebs that a good high quality magazine page is the best. Has to be a shiney type page. So, I tore a sheet out of an IT mag and printed her up:

I cut it out and cut a copper clad board almost to size.

Plug in the iron and heat it up. You can se the etching solution in that shot.

Flip the cutout over onto the PCB. Were are gonna iron this sucker on,

Take your time. You want total transfer.... oh, and no steam! Once you think you are ready, transfer the pcb to the sink and run water over it to remove the paper... only the toner should be left.

Blurry, but you get the idea. You can see a spot that didnt quite make it. I traced it several times with a black sharpie (no picture) to fix the trace.

Pour a little of this:

Into one of these:

Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave and drop the board in.

A little agitation and 15 min later, we have another pcb.

Well, thats it for tonight on this project... I have to go in the shop and start organizing for projects 2,3,4 & 5 All to be done in the next few weeks... Maybe tomorrow I will start that post.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 09:17:47 PM »
**** oh yeah... when working with the etching stuff... wear gloves and eye protection at the least. Also don't spill any on SWMBO's stainless sink. It will leave a mark!  :wack:

Trying to get back in the saddle...
Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 09:28:36 PM »
There's just one little trick Eric forgot. Don't mean to pick nits, but you need to make sure you have the negative on the board the right way or you can print it backwards or upside down. You'll find that out when you first put the components on and find they won't fit properly or not arranged the way they show on the plan.

Nice short demo though Eric. Explains one way of doing it. Never tried that method.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 09:41:17 PM »
There's just one little trick Eric forgot. Don't mean to pick nits, but you need to make sure you have the negative on the board the right way or you can print it backwards or upside down. You'll find that out when you first put the components on and find they won't fit properly or not arranged the way they show on the plan.

Nice short demo though Eric. Explains one way of doing it. Never tried that method.

Bernd

Very true Bernd, I did forget to mention that... reason being, they were already created as a PDF... print and go.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline ariz

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 06:25:58 AM »
well Eric, for one that says 'never etched a PCB' you got a very nice result there  :clap:

I didn't know that you were ill, and I'm very happy to see that you're back on work and feel better
you're the founder of madmodder and we all need your presence, like... humm... hemm... like sailors in the storm need a lighthouse  :doh:

:mmr:  :mmr:  :mmr:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 07:27:43 AM »
Nice work Eric, glad you're back out in the shop.

Nick

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 12:37:27 PM »
Very nicely done Eric!  :clap:

Welcome back.....  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »
Eric, nice improvisation on your latest pcb-work :clap:.

Ages ago, I did almost similar way my most complex pcb's. Difference is, that I used photocopier to make negative images, that were transferred to pcb using acetone as solvent. Results were not nearly as good as yours, requiring checking the traces with multimeter, and patching with solder and thin copper wire, as necessary. 

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 11:50:06 AM »
Great stuff Eric ,,,,i allways wonder'd how PCB board were made ,,electronics is something i would like to no more about ,so i am looking forward to seeing more

Regards Rob

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 03:18:29 PM »
Well... as it seems I have now etched 3 different versions of the board. Tomorrow I hope to get it built.

Eric
Science is fun.