Author Topic: Stew's Backplate Saga  (Read 10210 times)

bogstandard

Stew's Backplate Saga
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »
Stew doesn't know I am posting this, but I suppose he will soon. :lol:

This is a good example of how not to get someone to do you a favour.

Stew had asked me to machine up a backplate for his spindexer, as I have a very accurate 5c collet chuck, whereas he had no real way of holding it that would guarantee it's accuracy.

Anyway, Stew calls around early last week with the backplate. Where's the chuck says I.   The first  :doh:

Friday comes along and he drops the chuck off, luckily just before my afternoon power nap,  15 mins later and he would have got a real good welcoming reception   :hammer:

So this morning, I started, and this might show you how I do my lathe backplates. You will need to imagine this is the plate fixed to your lathe nose.

A near enough measure up was done on the chuck recess.

The face was skimmed up to leave just a little more than what had been measured. By doing it this way, you can go wild with the cutting for a while, before you have to settle down to some serious stuff.

I set the saddle stop and pushed the saddle against it, then set the depth of cut to 0.100" (2.5mm)

Then it was a matter of rough plunge cutting until I reached the spigot I had just cut on the face.

I then did a couple of thou cleanup of both faces. The recess was then more accurately measured up.

And the spigot was gently reduced in diameter until it was about 0.005" (0.025mm) larger than the recess measurement. No further measurements are carried out.
The front corner of the spigot had a tiny chamfer filed on the front. This is only a mock up, I used both hands for the job.

I totally disregard all the buls**t and wives tales about freezing the flange and heating up the chuck, doing it that way will set up all sorts of stresses you don't want, and besides you may want to take the chuck off at sometime for cleaning.
I very gently skimmed down until the chuck is a nice wringing fit on the spigot.
If you balls it up and go too small, there is still usually enough meat on the backplate for you to have a lot more goes until you get it right (on this one at least 4 or 5).

After that, I skimmed the outer edge of the backplate. You should never clock up off the chuck, as that can be almost any shape, so this skimmed face will be an accurate datum face to clock from. I also skimmed the front across, just in case that needs clocking at some time.

Now for the next part, getting the two joined together. Unfortunately, there are no thru holes, so they are transferred from the back flange. I will be using the RT on the mill to do that job.
Now I need to fix the chuck to the RT, no chuck key supplied, and I don't have one that will fit. The second  :doh:
So a quickie grind up of a bolt got me a temporary one that will do the job.

Using the super duper chuck key, I tightened the chuck onto my Myford threaded adapter.
The RT was set at 0 degrees, and the mill table was moved about until a drill that would just go down the threaded hole fed into the hole in the back of the chuck. This was tried again in the other holes by rotating the RT by 120 degs each time, once a nice balance between all 3 was found, the mill table was locked up.

A chuck was fitted to the RT and the backplate mounted up. Each position was given a good centre drilling.

Followed down with an 8.5mm drill.
I use an oversized drill because sometimes the actual mounting holes in the chuck are not always accurately drilled on some of these cheapo ones, and because they are only bolting holes, they can be way oversized if needs be and within reason.

That quirky thing came out and bit me on the bum. No matter which way I turned the backplate, one hole was definitely out of line. All backplate holes lined up perfectly with the other two, so it wasn't my drilling.
So I relieved one hole with a file until the bolt fitted. Unfortunately, no bolts supplied, so I had to modify a few. The third  :doh:

Because the backplate is now made to fit one way only, it needed to be marked up as such.
Stew had already made a datum mark because it is most probably been set up for another backplate. I just marked up this backplate for it to line up with.

I set it up on my lathe again and checked the runout. 0.0015" (0.0381mm). Methinks that will do, with it being so far away from the spindle, and a self centring chuck as well.

I just hope Stew is happy, if he has remembered where he has left it  :doh:

Bogs
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:05:25 AM by bogstandard »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Stew's Backplate Saga
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 02:34:28 PM »
Very nice, that will certainly be a useful addition to Stews workshop ... If he remembers where the spindex is  :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 02:52:35 PM »
Very well done John   :thumbup:

Thank you very much.

I'll call round and pick it up on Tuesday

Where do you live again  :doh:

:lol:

Thanks again much appreciated

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »
Anytime Stew.

As you know, it is all done and said in jest. :thumbup: :D :)

That's why this is about the happiest forum on the net  :mmr:

John

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:11:43 PM »
I've just spent the best part of this weekend trying to make a backplate for an 80mm chuck....and managed to balls it up... :doh:

I had issues with the bolt holes in the plate too.....

I mounted the chuck on an angle plate attached to the cross slide on my lathe...positioned the chuck so that a tapping drill would pass thru' one of the tapped holes in the chuck...

Attach backplate to chuck and secure with a G clamp...and centre drill first hole...drill thru' with clearance drill...
Now rotate backplate and secure it to the next hole with a bolt ( 6mm in this case..)...
Centre/clearance drill remainig 3 holes and jobs a good 'un...

Nope!!....I secured the chuck with 8mm studding to the angle plate...and needed to use a biggish washer...My mistake was not keeping the back plate parallel to the chuck's axis...only to find that all the holes didnt match up...GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I tried cleaning them out to 6.4mm...still no good...Ah well I have a spare bit of CI round...so back to it and make another....knowing the pitfalls and mistakes will stand me in good stead for getting it I may get it right.

More money down the drain.... :doh:

Bogs....Thanks for the write up  :beer:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:13:49 PM by John Rudd »
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:49:15 PM »
John,

If you have a well fitting register, as long as you don't make the holes larger than the bolt heads, then you can most probably rescue what you have done.

The bolts are only there to hold the chuck onto the tight fitting register, they take no part in the alignment of the chuck.

You could go even larger with the use of some thick washers.

John

BTW, the way I did these was rather a long winded one. Normally, when you get a new chuck, it comes with a sheet telling you all the dimensions. By using the PCD of the bolt holes, I could have just as easily have put a centre pop in the centre and used spring dividers to scribe a circle and then divide it up into 3. That would have been plenty close enough to get onto the drill for the holes. As I said before, the holes are there only for holding the bits together.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 07:52:04 AM »
Great job on that John. Will be a very useful reference for people.

However,  0.0015" is approx.  0.04mm  :poke:

Stew, I would take it back!  :lol: :lol:

Nick

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 10:07:30 AM »
Sorry about that Nick, it must have been one of the days I used my toes instead of fingers for counting, now amended.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
I think I've been Nogging the Nog in this Saga

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway picked John up this morning for a boys day out down the scrap yard, and he returned the completed backed plate to me and what a great job he's done of it thanks John  :thumbup:

This is the adaptor with the chuck, I can now take any of my chucks:- three or four, self centre four jaw, or even my face straight off the lathe with the job still in place and put it onto the indexer and know it will be running true.

A happy
 :D

Stew

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »
Brilliant - well done John and Stew. Now, where did you put those chucks?  :doh:

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 01:57:49 PM »
John had forgotten about his spindexer, so pretty soon, spurred on by Stew's fitting, John will have a Myford fitting for his, also allowing the whole plethora of fittings to be fitted.

When will all this stop Stew?

Would it be of any use fitting a milling vice onto the lathe spindle?

Bogs

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »

When will all this stop Stew?

Would it be of any use fitting a milling vice onto the lathe spindle?

Bogs

Now that you come to mention it I've seen that done someware

:proj:

Stew