Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Adapting a Bedair Ball cutter to a 7x14 Seig

(1/5) > >>

Chuck in E. TN:
Has anyone made  a Steve Bedair ball cutter for a 7x14 Seig? Will it even scale down to the 7x? I found Ralph's(Divided he ad) post, http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=617.msg2950#msg2950 and would like more info on the tool holder in the "new and improved" version. My version would have to have a  2 piece tool holder as well.
I do not have a mill, yet, so my version will be made entirely on a lathe, drill press, and various hand tools. I have done some basic milling  with my lathe making tool holders out of 2" x 2" aluminum blocks. I held the milling cutter in the chuck and the block on the tool post, but don't have a clue as to how I would mount the 2 1/2" round of CRS sideways to mill the channel for the cutter...
I know I could buy one of several versions, but where's the fun in that!
I'm in the planning/can I do this with what I have/please comment/set me straight stage, but would really like to make this tool. Mouse balls are getting scarce...

Chuck in E. TN

cedge:
Chuck
If you're careful to watch clearances, the Bedair style can be made to fit the 7x? lathe. I made one quite a while back and it worked fine. The trick is to "interlock" the top and bottom using concentric lips, so everything runs on the same axis. I wound up drilling and tapping a pair of mounting holes in the top of the cross slide and putting the bolts inside the base with access holes, topside, to tighten them.

The cutter section has a number of possible configurations, but be sure to keep the cutting point dead on the centerline.

Steve

John Rudd:

--- Quote from: cedge on November 25, 2009, 03:25:39 PM ---
The cutter section has a number of possible configurations, but be sure to keep the cutting point dead on the centerline.

Steve

--- End quote ---

I built the Bedair one as per plan for my 9*20....Cant seem to point to it in Photobucket atm....:(

But as Steve said the important thing is to have the cutter point on centreline....

I'd probably go smaller than 2 1/2 dia for the 'rotary bit' to keep the 'size' relationship with the 7*12 ( the smaller the diameter the smaller radius you will have for turning balls)  the base plate just make to suit the cross slide of your lathe.....

andyf:
Chuck, these might be the plans you want - they are by Ralph Patterson, for the 7x lathe, but I think they are based on the Steve Bedair version.

http://www.toolsandmods.com/library/ralph_patterson_ball_turning_tool.pdf

Andy

Bernd:
Chuck,

Here's one I did for my 9" X 19" Grizzly. Ball Turner

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version