The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Picaxe Controllers ??

(1/3) > >>

Bluechip:
Anyone use these chips ?

About 12 years ago, I had the EPE TK2 dooins, used to have fun programming the 'F84 Microchip wotsits, these Picaxe things seem a bit limited to me tho' compared with 'tother things.

However, they do seem simpler to use, Basic/Flowcharts rather than Assembler. ??

OR, does anyone use the 'F84 successors, if so, what programmer/ software is available ?? Preferably free/cheap    :thumbup:

Any thoughts, anyone ??

Dave BC

John Rudd:
Dave,

My son used the Picaxe chips when he was at school....Having used pic micros myself prior to his introduction was a big help for him...

The picaxe chips are a useful intro to micrchips, having a built in boot loader means there's little needed for programming hardware, a serial usb cable

from a laptop or pc...

I currently use a Velleman programmer for coding 16F628As which succeeded the the older F84...

Recently I purchased a Pickit2 from Microchip when they were on offer and it comes with a small development area...

Some of the free BASIC compilers have a limit the amount of code you can write, I tend to use ASM with MPLAB as the assembler...

I built a tacho for my 9*20 with an lcd readout but have yet to install all the hardware onto the machine....

Bluechip:
Tks John ..

I used MPLab and assembler, with varying degrees of success.  :scratch:

Can you tell me what the Velleman thing is ? source? url ?

Edit ..
 http://www.esr.co.uk/velleman/products/index_kit.htm
This one ??

I'm a bit confused, long time since I did the TK2 thing, and the world moves on ..

Looking at the Picaxe stuff, not too difficult to lash up. The 18X chip seems to do a bit, so I'll give it a thrash, see what happens   Phttt ??

Dave BC

GrahamC:
I have a little sumobot robot that I helped my grandson build. Built from a kit and he did 95% of the work; it was a good project to learn how to solder which he did rather well for a 13 year old. It uses a PICAXE 28X which even though it's features which make it easy to build into a project and program can be a bit limiting (but not much) it is still quite impressive for the ease with which you can use it. Everything from 8 pin chips up to the 40 pin size.

I have messed about with micro's since the days of the Intel 4004. PIC offerings where always my first choices for microcontrollers but of late I am starting to tinker more with the ATMEL micro's and have taken a shine to the Arduino. The Arduino uses a micro with a preloaded bootstrap program and allows you to write/debug/load programs written in a GUI in a C like language into the Arduino or compatible board using either a serial cable, usb cable or even a ATMEL compatible programmer.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

mklotz:
Graham,

You (and perhaps others) might be interested in reading my recent foray into the world of microcontrollers...

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=6792.msg72877#msg72877

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version