The Shop > Tools

Going to convert my X2 and Mini Lathe

<< < (2/2)

Brass_Machine:
Yeah the X2 is tiny. It is termed a 'mini' mill. I don't have a lot of room, so had to go with this until I rebuild my garage. For a little sucker, it does work good (after hours of tuning and modifying).

I am going to use steppers. Going with a 4 axis set-up. My drivers will probably be Geckos.

Eric

Alphawolf45:
  I want one of everything, dont you?....I like all types of machinery....Along in there I also want a small tabletop cnc mill because-- I like engraving faces, scenery etc but that type work needs to be done with fast spindle and very rapid X,Y and Z feeds...That is far more abuse than I want to subject to  my old retired from the factory cnc mill..
 Youre going to have your mill out of commission while you change it into cnc configuration...That could be tricky..I'd be uncomfortable working without a mill during a project that will require use of a mill...And once completed you will only have a cnc , no longer have a manual mill....Thats interesting too , I hope you get to that point while I still a member here, I'd like to hear your day to day impressions of making the transition from exclusively manual mill to exclusively cnc...
 May I suggest that you spend a few dollars to get an electromechanical time clock , wire it in series with your drivers so that when your drivers are "on" the clock keeps a running total...You will much of the time be working at the computer getting set to run a program but have the drivers turned off- for real sense of working hours just  keep track of the drivers 'on' time..You will be amazed how many hours you will  log on it..I am over 800 hours in 2 and a half years since I got this second cnc mill going..Contrast that to my Kubota riding mower has fewer than 400 hours after 15 years mowing my 3 acre yard.

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: Alphawolf45 on August 14, 2008, 08:41:14 PM ---  I want one of everything, dont you?....I like all types of machinery.......

--- End quote ---

That says it all i think.

This conversion that I am doing will allow manual and CNC use. Gotta keep the manual for awhile as this is my only machine. I plan to buy a bigger mill and convert it to CNC only at a later date.

The time clock idea sounds cool. i think i will do that.

I am order some of the aluminum today to make the stepper brackets... so hopefully the conversion will start in a couple of weeks. I will be doing a build log here as well.

Eric

Brass_Machine:
The aluminum arrived this week. I will start making the mounts next week or the week after.

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version