Author Topic: brunswick lathe  (Read 7725 times)

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
brunswick lathe
« on: November 16, 2009, 02:17:25 AM »
Hi,

Just spotted this brand of lathe in my local classifieds.  Unfortunately in my part of the world not much crops up secondhand when it comes to lathes and the like, especially at the smaller end of the scale.

Does anyone know if they are a decent brand of lathe, cause this guy seems to have a lot on it ($).

I know the size, condition of the unit, amount of tooling etc affects the price somewhat.

Of course I would like to buy new, but my new mill and tooling have put a large hole in my pocket (for the time being at least)
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: brunswick lathe
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 02:58:01 AM »
Hi Jatt

I have never heard of a Brunswick lathe and it does not appear on this very comprehensive site:=
http://www.lathes.co.uk/index.html

Is it possible that this is a locally branded Chinese lathe?  Most lathes seem to leave China with nothing more than a type number and the local importer or dealer puts his own name on.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:03:51 PM »
Entirely possibile.

It only has a small pic and is short on detail in the paper, so I cant make out much, even some idea of scale.

Did a search and only found examples of bigger 3 ph units in secondhand places on the net. Many miles away from me of course.

Claims to have 270 mm (doesnt specify whether its swing or travel).  The basics like 3 & 4 jaw chuck, steadies.

Wants $3100 AUD for it.

Will have to call him of course and take a look.

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:39:34 PM »
I saw the post with the site in the UK listing all those lathes.  I have one of those Swayne-Robinson Series 200 lathes.  It was apart and in a cardboard box at a garage sale about 35 years ago and I bought it for 15 bucks.  Cleaned it up, put it together and used it for about 4 years then retired it about 30 years ago.  It is in my garage somewhere.
Ray
Waco, Texas

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 03:09:46 PM »
Went and had a look at it.  Says its an engine lathe.  I'm not sure if that means the type of lathe or what it was primarily designed to work on.

A solid lathe in very good condition, everything runs very smoothly.  I looked at the bookwork and the whole unit weights in at about 850 Kg.  NO surprise as the bench it sat on was cast.  Even the cabinet doors were cast.  Switched her on, ran very smoothly.  Can live with the fact theres no rear splash guard, recon I could fashion something from sheet.

According to the owner its a 30 year old Chinese lathe.  The plaque said it was sold by Selvin in Melbourne.  It comes with a coolant pump which I would have to desluge as the water has evaporated, so I couldnt test that bit out. 

Does metric and whitworth threads via change gears.  Power longatudual feed.  Chain drive.

270 mm swing, around 700 mm long bed.

Comes with 3 and 4 jaw, steadies, faceplate, QCTP and a work lite.

Apparently it started its life running 3 ph, now its on single.

No footbrake

Now here is what I consider to be the bad bit ---- no reverse.  Theres a button there for it.  Owner claims he couldnt set it up with single ph motor.  Think he just didnt choose the right one for the job.

Sorry I dont have a foto to show.

He didnt produce anything else (tooling) to justify the price, so at present at least recon I will sit on the fence.  Still think it is a bit pricey, but I have been wrong before.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »
Hey what do u know.  Found a foto of a unit that is fairly close to what I was looking at.  A few small differences like theres only one gear shift lever in the foto, verses 2 on the other. 

Recon this one is the bigger brother as it has 360mm Swing x 1000mm Between Centres

The foto one has 2 MT... doh forgot to check that bit out

32mm Spindle Bore.  59-1220 RPM.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »
Jatt, most single phase motors can be reversed except some of the smaller types.  Usually the ones with external capacitors are easy to reverse,  if you take a look inside the terminal box there will be extra terminals and a couple of jumpers if it was intened to be reversable.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 02:53:10 AM »
Hello Jatt
Looking at the photo you show it looks very like a Chinese copy of a Harrison Lathe possibly the 140 or L5
It might be worth looking at the site to compare
http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison/page12.html
Trev