Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Quick and dirty sine bar setting

<< < (3/3)

colin563:
when i try & download it i get web page not found also i get it on the other downloads aswell

not sure why

colin

mklotz:

--- Quote ---I have tried to show that sine bars are for everyone, not just the elite.

--- End quote ---

And a fine job you've done, John.  Real machinists and metrologists would have a cow over the idea of actually supporting the work in the mill vise on a sine bar.  They would only use the tool on a surface plate to set up a cut or to take a measurement, then return the tool to its metaphorical Ark of the Covenant.

They would laugh at the idea of using a $5 sine bar or, shiver, making one's own, much less using it in a setup.

Thank goodness folks like us are devoid of such professional indoctrination and thus are free to bodge up creative solutions that get the job done.

Adjustable parallels are useful gear.  Since they have no intrinsic calibration, the cheap ones work just as well as the pricey ones.  We all know that measuring a slot  (e.g., the space between rolls when measuring dovetails) with calipers is dodgy at best and inside mics are pricey.  Slap an adjustable parallel in the slot and lock it, pull it out and measure with a conventional mike - much more precise.  Given your native ingenuity, you'll discover other uses for them if you have them lying around.

Another way to set an angle is to use two tangent cylinders of different diameters.  Since turning precisely sized cylinders is something the average hobbyist can do well, this is a quick and dirty way to get a single accurate angle.  The SINE program on my page will calculate the required cylinder diameters for a given angle.

bogstandard:

--- Quote ---Real machinists and metrologists would have a cow over the idea of actually supporting the work in the mill vise on a sine bar.  They would only use the tool on a surface plate to set up a cut or to take a measurement, then return the tool to its metaphorical Ark of the Covenant.

--- End quote ---

I've been there Marv, I was forced asked to help out in a metrology lab for six months, and hated every minute of it. White coats are not for me.

One of the good things about this cheap far eastern tooling is that it is available to the masses, at a price, that if it does get damaged, it isn't going to break the bank, if only they knew how to use the stuff.
I think that is why we were put here Marv, there is too much holier than thou and keeping things to yourself going on.
How else are these budding artisans to get 'off the wall' information if people won't tell them how things are done in the real world, rather than being told just to read about it. At times there can be a huge difference between theory and practical. Don't get me wrong, I avidly read about anything I am involved with, which is a good thing to do, but sometimes theory needs a bit of a tweak to get it to run practically.

John

bogstandard:
If you can't get the Workshop Calculator to download from here, either download Marv's program or you can download the calculator from my personal  file handler.

http://rapidshare.com/files/304175288/workshop_calculator.exe

Bogs

ariz:
thank you very much Bogs (and Mklotz too)
I don't know english so well to explain what I mean, but to make a long story short, now I have understood how to setup and use a sinebar, and that's all folks
posts like this one are really treasures here, and priceless  :beer:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version