The Shop > Our Shop

The lathe arrives!

(1/8) > >>

AdeV:
 :D :) :D

Dragged the elderly Edgwick home this afternoon, dunno what it weighs but it's right on the limit of my poor car trailer. Well, when combined with a tool grinder at any rate  ::)

No pics of the loading (forgot my camera), but once I'd backed the trailer into the workshop:

The streaks are because it bl**dy well rained. Beautiful sunny morning, and it was lovely & sunny all the way to the M6. Then it poxy rained. I was NOT best pleased. If you happened to be on the M6 today (Sat 7th) & saw me with my preciousssssss on board, then I was probably looking pretty tee'd off (that's the polite version).

Anyway, enough ranting at the oh-so-predictable weather, & on with the photos:

Cor, just look at the motor on that! If I decide to convert this lathe to single phase, that motor will make a great induction generator for my Lister engine :)

A couple of close-ups showing how the lathe is clamped to the trailer, the straps are just there to appease any passing policemen (the lathe didn't move a millimetre/0.0254" on the journey):

Tailstock - and is that a taper turning attachment? Or just the backside of the saddle?:

The space where it's going to live.

Now, before you all get jealous of the masses of space I have, and the fork-lift, let me just say this: The place costs me a fortune in rent & rates, it's impossible to heat in winter or cool in summer, and the fork lift belongs to the welding shop next door.

On the other hand, I do have loads of space, and the use of a fork-lift when I need it  :)

And finally, look what else followed me home:

Althogether, a pretty good haul I think. Tomorrow, I will install the lathe & start on the cleaning/refurbing of it. I'll also stick a fan heater near the motor; I don't know how much rain it ingested, but it's bound to be more than is good for it. Bloody weather.  ::)

Oops, grub time. L8r!

John Hill:
I would not be too concerned about that motor getting wet as it looks like a splash proof type?  But I would open every electrical control box and make sure they are dry inside.

Othewise,   :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

boatmadman:
It was YOU held my wife up on the M6!!!

My tea was cold!

:)

slowcoach:
Big lathe that AdeV  :clap: I have one very similar to yours but mines an old Willson 7.5" x  36" beast, she was built in 1949, she's able to swing a piece of material 26" in diameter by 9" thick!
Anyway have fun with your Edgwick, she should serve you well for many years  :thumbup:

Rob

AdeV:

--- Quote from: boatmadman on November 07, 2009, 02:54:56 PM ---It was YOU held my wife up on the M6!!!

My tea was cold!

:)

--- End quote ---

How could your tea be cold if it was your missus who got held up on the motorway? Shurly you mean "My tea was late"?  :lol:

--- Quote from: John Hill on November 07, 2009, 02:23:34 PM ---I would not be too concerned about that motor getting wet as it looks like a splash proof type?  But I would open every electrical control box and make sure they are dry inside.

--- End quote ---

Done, and they all look fine  :thumbup: I'll give the motor a closer look before I get it off the trailer tomorrow. If it's splashproof, that'll be excellent news.

--- Quote from: slowcoach on November 07, 2009, 03:23:18 PM ---Big lathe that AdeV  :clap: I have one very similar to yours but mines an old Willson 7.5" x  36" beast, she was built in 1949, she's able to swing a piece of material 26" in diameter by 9" thick!
Anyway have fun with your Edgwick, she should serve you well for many years  :thumbup:

--- End quote ---

Mine's not quite that big; I believe she'll take 20" by 5" with the gap removed, and supposedly 40" between centres, but I've not measured. She's 90" from end to end, and about 36" deep. The serial number appears to be "881" - but without knowing how many of these lathes were built, I've no idea what year that makes her. Or, for that matter, whether the "Plant No: 881" plate is actually the serial no, or Perkins' own numbering...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version