Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

which tool to set up a piece to an angle?

(1/4) > >>

ariz:
I have to make the hole for the spark plug in the head of a little IC engine
the plans state that it is at an angle of 15 deg
this isn't so critical, so probably I could do it by eye

but the question remains: which is the correcty tool to use in such a case?

I have seen on ebay that there are at least 3 possibility:
1. an angle square, as a protractor or something alike
2. thiny angle blocks, sold in a box, with about 10 pieces, with 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60 deg or so
3. the 0 - 60 ° adjustable angle block, made of 2 blocks, where the upper one slides on the other at the desired angle

what is the right one (because I cannot buy all them  :) )?
considering not only this particular job, but the possibility in the workshop generally speaking...

Bernd:
airz,

If you want to get the head done right away then I would bolt it to a piece of aluminum and use a protractor set at 15 deg. and clamp the whole works in a vise.

If you like to make tooling I would build myself an angle plate.

If your not interested in making tooling and can't wait to get something then by all means purchase one of the your listed 3 possibilities.

Bernd

Krown Kustoms:
Ariz, I use the protractor setup, block under one side of the work in the vise and clamp, but I have never needed to be exact with an angle.
I have been looking into the other 2 you sugested and have the same questions.
I dont think there is a correct way just a safe way.
Either way you do it just make sure it is clamped well.
I have followed your work in another forum, you do realy nice work. I look forward to seeing more.
-B-

Jasonb:
I use one of the little digital angle meters, the base is magnetic so you can stick it to the workpiece or if nonferrous a bit of bar acts as a straightedge.

I bought mine some time ago from Wixey but there are a lot of other copies about now.

Jason

mklotz:
Option 3:  Very coarse scale makes it difficult to set accurately.  I have one and hardly ever use it for just this reason.

For most work with simple, integer degree angles option 2 works best for me.

The problem with protractors is that they don't provide support for the work while the mill operation is carried out.  The option 2 blocks provide that support.

You neglected to mention option 4 - a sine bar.  If you need very precise and/or non-integer degree angles, a sine bar is the way to go.

Normally, folks think of sine bars as precision tools used with gage blocks to do setups and measurements and wouldn't risk using one to support a mill job.  While that's generally true, there's no reason to not use a cheap sine bar in the mill as an angular locator.  Forget the gage blocks in this application.  Set the stack height with a micrometer on an adjustable parallel.  Not metrology standards but plenty good enough for the vast majority of home shop jobs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version