Author Topic: Backyard furnace  (Read 8298 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Backyard furnace
« on: May 25, 2008, 01:54:41 AM »
So I need to find some plans for a backyard furnace. I have a ton of aluminum swarf and bits. I would like to melt them down into ingots for future use. Anyone know of any free plans?

And with that, most of the aluminum is 6061 but there is some 7075 as well. There might even be a little steel. Does it matter or should I try to separate it? I will only use this stuff for flywheels and cast bases for engines. Nothing detrimental.

Thanks
Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Backyard furnace
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 06:21:06 AM »
Yes, for safety the steel should be removed along with any crud, water, liquids etc. I know other will say that it doesn't matter that you can scrape off the scum and doss as you melt. But a liquid h2o will expand to a gas around 1,200 to 1,300 times in volume. This also goes for other liquids. the oils and paints can flash into flame.
The problem with steel and other materials is it will cause, problem some minor some major if you are casting ingots or flywheels, from the pinholes, blowouts, to porosity. As the temperature for the liquefactions point will be affected by the material.
Clean and dry will result in the short term a little more work, but a savings in time and fuel and fustration in the long run.
Of course this IMO.
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/forums/index.php here is the Granddaddy of all the metal meting sites. With all the links and people doing it everywhere. From a hole in the back yard with a fire in it to a section of heavy walled pipe with a plate welded to the bottom for crucible. For the occasional melting of aluminum.
http://www.theworkshop.ca/casting/casting.htm he does a lot of aluminum casting great info.
http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/
 ;D

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 12:58:11 PM »
I have those books still to send to you. I did some neat patterns that I'm going to cast and send with them:o) I think you'll like.

Clean metal is a must! you will have better results for sure. Another item you NEED is a Pyrometer. You can build one fairly cheep with parts from Ebay. That's what I did. I'll post info tomorrow.

Later, Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 09:49:33 PM »
I've done a bit of melting of aluminum. I built the Gingery charcoal furnace. Worked great. I later changed over to propane. Never did cast anything. Just melted the aluminum and made round ingots. Still have the 5 gallon bucket I made it in.

Want to get back into it and cast some fly wheels or engine bases and a few other things. But then the house project takes priority. :'(

BTW I've got the Gingery series of books he put out on using a foundry and making your own machines. Quite interesting.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 12:29:36 PM »
Eric, did you ever get your back yard furnace up and running? I`ve been looking into the flowerpot furnace for the last few weeks.

Chris

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 01:40:01 PM »
I've been looking into the flowerpot furnace for the last few weeks.

Chris

Anything init ???
 :clap:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 02:41:46 PM »
lol  :scratch: took me a while to twig  :lol:

Nope, just waiting for it to sprout.