Clocks & Pocket Watches

<< < (3/7) > >>

Bernd:
Here ya go Chris. More pics.

Hope you like 'em.

Bernd

raynerd:
Hi Bernd
Thanks for the extra pics it has given me some ideas. I really like that - how long have you had this clock?

Darren:
Guys,

Without studying the concept, call me lazy if you like but I'm studying and researching so many other things at the mo. How does a time device keep accurate time.

I assume a spring is the motor, but how is it regulated?

raynerd:
The power can be either a spring or simply a hanging weight. In a mechanical clock, the escapement and pendulum keep the "time". Hugely simplyfying, the escape wheel is a wheel with teeth cut differently to the norm, there is normally a pallet which inteferes with the teeth on the escapement. The pallet is attached to the pendulum which allows the wheel to be released one tooth at a time - tick and tock! the image below is a recoil escapement but you can get deadbeats, in which you do not see the recoil.

there are various ways of regulating the escapement to complicate things! This is a grasshopper:

It is the pendulum that is regulating it or a balance in the case of watches and some clocks:

Chris

Darren:
Thanks Chris,

I suppose it's the energy of the falling weight that keeps the pendulums momentum from coming to a halt.

But what regulates each release of movement  (time wise) :scratch:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version