The Shop > Our Shop

My Atelier

(1/5) > >>

Jere:
Since I always enjoy getting a peek into others' workshops, I thought I would give a quick overview of my micro-shop.
It is small in just about every respect, a small spare bedroom, small machines, and small work (i.e. watches).
I've been at this for about 2 years now, at least in any sort of serious sense, mostly in the wee hours of Friday and Saturday night.

There are two workbenches, the so-called machine or metalworking bench, and the 'clean' bench.

The machine bench was made for me by a local woodworker, as I wanted to maximize the available space, made to a certain height, etc, and being 'in the house' it needed to look nicer than anything I could have hacked together.

The two machines are a Cowells 90CW lathe and a Cameron 164 micro drill press.

The Cowells 90

The Cowells setup for gear cutting, using their milling attachment and index plate.

The Cameron drill press, a recent addition to the bench.

A watchmaker's bench, of traditional design so that the work is at about chest level when seated, since most work is done under a loupe at about an inch or two from one's face.

Closeup of the benchtop, on the left is the box of parts for a watch that I am in the process of making.  I am about 800 hours into it, and would say about 1/4 to 1/3 or so of the way done, however there are quite a few obstacles to overcome, but that is all part of the adventure. 

A closeup of the current noodle scratcher  :scratch:
The motion work for a retrograde hour hand mechanism, just can not seem to get the return rack quite right, but it's getting close.

Thanks for looking,
Jere

bogstandard:
Very nice indeed Jere. It is a lot different to my swarf infested pit.

It truly amazes me how people can get such a myriad of parts to work in unison. I have a lot of patience but not that much.

It must be great to have such skills.

Bogs

Darren:
What amazes me is how little room you have used for all your needs  :clap:

bet it doesn't stay that tidy for long ....  :dremel:

kellswaterri:
Great set up there Jere...Cowells, one of the best precision lathes there is...tooling hard to find 2nd hand as I found, just having waited five months for a Cowells mill, but well worth it...now looking to set it up with dro's...best of luck with your watches,
                                                                               John.

Bernd:
Jere,

I'm a bit confused here. You say you are building a watch. Those parts look rather big to be a watch.

Now for a question, when does a watch become a clock? In other words is there a size where the name changes?

By the way nice "shop area" since it's not in it's own designated room or building. Saw all that on your web site.

800 hours into those parts alone, wow. You must have a lot of patience. I know I don't.

Keep the pics coming of how a watch is made. Thanks for taking the time to show us.

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version