The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Power feed motor suggestions?

<< < (2/2)

cedge:
I have an independent power feed on my C4 lathe and wouldn't want to give it up. It was the first ting I transferred from my 7x14 Micromark, when I upgraded.  I can't really make a recommendation as to what motor and controller you'll want, but I can recommend a way to mount it.

I originally mounted the gear motor directly to the end of the lead screw and found that the lead screw picked up vibration from the gear reduction. It sometimes hit a harmonic that left marks on the work piece. I happened to have a couple of timing pulleys in my junk box that had been there forever, so I began to experiment. These are similar to the cleated kind used to drive the mini lathe,

The final mount required an extension on the end of the lead screw to accept one of the pulleys. I then made up a flat with an adjustable slot and mounted the motor to this so the motor tucked behind the back of the lathe, below the ways. In effect, the whole thing wraps around the end of the machine and is out of the way of things. The belt tension is adjusted by sliding the motor and bracket. No more vibration problems since the belt isolates the motor from the screw. (Note:.... the extra shaft length was left to allow the addition of a hand wheel if desired. Quite handy at times.)

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version