Author Topic: Preparing for a change of use  (Read 3757 times)

bogstandard

Preparing for a change of use
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:53:05 AM »
I am just about to purchase a right angle drive for my mill, to allow me to easily convert it into a horizontal one.

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/horizontal_milling_attachments.htm

So I have been onto ebay and started to get a bit of tooling together.

I can do fairly small profiling work with roundover and bull nosed cutters in vertical mode, but I have managed to get a few bigger ones for use when I get the 1" arbor on the go.

I managed to buy 10 new cutters (old but unused) for less than 5 squid each (these look small, but the smallest is about 2.5" in diameter).

Coupled with the other cutters I have gathered over time, and hopefully if I can pick up a couple of slab mills, I will be well set up for horizontal work.

Bogs

Offline chuck foster

Re: Preparing for a change of use
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:08:28 PM »
i have one of those attachments for the mill at work ....................you just have to take it easy and they work ok.

just don't try to climb mill like the stupid bugger i work with, bent the shaft the cutters go on AND took out 2 or 3 teeth in the right angle drive  :bugeye:

i know you know better john but i just thought i would mention it.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 03:16:06 AM »
Chuck,

I am no super being, just a person with a little more experience than others, and I really appreciate people giving me warnings like you have.

Anything like that to make me understand the limitations of what I am about to purchase is very welcome.

Many thanks

John

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 10:41:04 AM »
Hi
Once it's up and running I think you will really like it. I have had my HM52B for around 3 years now which is the similar as the Chester Model 'T' Universal Mill over there and find the vertical/horizontal versatility great. The only difference is mine has a larger table (1000mm) and longer travel (670mm) also a swivel table. I’m not sure how ridged those horizontal setups are when running large slab mills or twin cutter setups (you may have to limit the size), you will have to let us know when you get it sorted. One thing I find with mine is the ability to mill from the side which has helped me out a few times on different jobs.
Dave
PS
I was not sure which of the 3 threads to reply to on this subject, I hope I got it right.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:05:32 AM by Davo J »

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 11:53:23 AM »
Davo,

I looked at the Model 'T' because of it's horizontal arbor, but it is only available in one of the weird fitting types, so it was rejected.

I am looking to do a lot of ganged slitting saw milling and profile milling, not slab mills. My flycutter takes care of large areas.

I think once I have the new angled jibs made, it will be as solid as it is ever going to be, and I am sure it will be up to what I want it to do.

They were due to be worked on today, but as usual, well made plans are only there to be messed up.

I had forgotten about this post, otherwise I would have used it for when I purchased the arbor.

Bogs