Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Drill holes in hack saw blade

(1/2) > >>

Chuck in E. TN:
I want to use 2 pieces of hacksaw blade to hold a ball. The hacsaw blade pieces would provide spring pressure to hold the ball, while alowing it to rotate via a rod through it. The ball (center of a mouse ball) is 3/4".
This is part of the centerfinder documented here: http://books.google.com/books?id=mdcDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA126&lpg=PA126&dq=lathe+center+indicator&source=bl&ots=c0op1r6Jip&sig=VytEsy8I0EPsmmnKQqHOxpkzrFw&hl=en&ei=uxTdSszHJcuwlAeulrk_&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=lathe%20center%20indicator&f=false

Chuck in E. TN.

jim:
in the ideal world i'd spark erode the holes. id say your best bet is a carbide drill :scratch:

sorveltaja:
Do you mean an ordinary hacksaw blade? I've noticed, that the blade itself is softer, than the harder cutting part, that is only a thin stripe:

Darren:
Take a drill bit and mount it upside down in your mill/drill chuck, use high speed and press it against the hacksaw blade to generate heat.

This will cause localised anealing of the blade. It may go through but if not you will now be able to drill a hole in the annealed spot.

Chuck in E. TN:
Grate trick Darren. Glad I set this computer up in the shop! I'll try that trick now!

Chuck in E. TN

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version