Author Topic: Bargain Drill Press  (Read 4604 times)

Offline 75Plus

Bargain Drill Press
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:30:36 PM »
Scored a bargain on Craig's List earlier in the week. Item listed as rarely used, 16 speed, floor model drill press. Asking price of $85. Upon inspection I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. Once back in my shop I gave it a thorough inspection. I could find NO evidence that it had ever been used. It has a 1hp motor and a "dry" table with a drain hole for spent coolant. It had a rudimentary coolant system that had never been unwrapped.

The item was sold by Harbor Freight and carried their label.Their current equivalent carries a price of $299. This one was made in Taiwan and, according to the date on the motor, produced in Apr. of 2000.

I have found one item that I deem a drawback. The chuck adjusts from 0 to 5/8". The sharp edges on the jaws cause slow closing on larger drill bits and has a soft, almost spongy feel when closing. Looks like another order for Enco.

Here is what it looks like.

And from the operating position.

Joe
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:35:34 PM by 75Plus »

Offline websterz

Re: Bargin Drill Press
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:46:53 PM »
You didn't buy that drillpress...you stole it!!  :thumbup:  :beer:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Bargin Drill Press
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 08:20:06 PM »
Joe

Good find Joe. It shows what happens when you keep you eyes open. :ddb: :ddb:

It pays to keep an eye on some of the sales lists that are around. If you don't read them you can't find the odd deal like Joe found.  :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Bargain Drill Press
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 10:10:53 PM »
Nice find Joe. I've got the bench top version. Works for what I need. Plan on adding a DC tread mill motor someday.

Here's moving day for my 21" Buffalo Drill press. It's my bigger floor model drill press. I use a tread mill motor and the controls from the tread mill to run it. I only paid $100 for it too.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=362.0

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Russel

Re: Bargain Drill Press
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 02:54:52 AM »
One place I worked a while back had the same drill press. The problem that we had with it was the poor chuck. So, we figured out the taper on the spindle and ordered a new high quality Jacobs drill chuck and a morse taper adapter. The adapter had the correct taper for the Jacobs chuck on one end, and one for the drill press spindle on the other end. That really made the drill press work so much better that I did the same exact thing with the bench top version that I have at home. If you get tired of the drill chuck that it has on it, you might consider doing the same.

Russ

BTW, good buy!