Author Topic: Delta/Milwaukee S/N 27-5220 Band Saw Added Pictures  (Read 9825 times)

Offline hhobby

Delta/Milwaukee S/N 27-5220 Band Saw Added Pictures
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »
Delta/Milwaukee S/N 27-5220 Band Saw
Model # 82 710

I have a chance of getting the above saw for an unbelievable price. I need to know is there any place that I can find information on the saw like year, manual, parts list? The saw weighs a couple of hundred pounds and want to know if it's worth it. The saw does work and has been sitting in storage for the last 10 years. The owner lost storage space and must get rid of it cheap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will take some pictures of it if that will help.

I'm not sure what the oil fill is for or what type oil it needs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:59:46 PM by hhobby »

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Delta/Milwaukee S/N 27-5220 Band Saw
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »
hhobby

Welcome to MadModders.

I have tried searching for info on your saw and have came up short so far. Can you tell me a bit more about the saw. Wood? Metal, Size? Age? This might help me track it down. Also, is 27-5220 the model No. or the Serial No.?

If you could post a picture of it that would help.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline tinkerer

Re: Delta/Milwaukee S/N 27-5220 Band Saw
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:39:30 PM »
See if it looks like this.
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=332.0

The pictures helped. It is a Delta Milwaukee 28-307 on a 886 stand. This is a pdf of the maintenance manual for the stand.
http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/pubdetail.aspx?id=1879
Here is a picture of another one.
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=9611
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:37:22 PM by tinkerer »
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline tinkerer

Re: Delta/Milwaukee S/N 27-5220 Band Saw Added Pictures
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 06:39:04 PM »
This is to just bump it up. When you pull it up, you will see the picture. There is a blue pdf on the bottom left. Click it and both pages open in pdf with schematic, part numbers and instructions.
And here is the manual for the 28-307.
http://owwm.com/pubs/1141/2459.pdf
I could not find 82-710, but that is probably the Model # of the motor.
http://www.owwm.com/pubs/1141/2884.pdf
I thought this was pretty cool.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:29:17 PM by tinkerer »
Tink

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 05:59:15 PM »
This is a link to the service manual for your saw. You will find the info about the oil in here. The 886 stand is a dual purpose stand that Delta used for the wood/metal bandsaws and a table saw. Hope this helps. Almost forgot, 82-710 is the motor model number.
http://owwm.com/pubs/1141/2784.pdf
Tink

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 06:36:48 PM »
Tinkerer

I just had a look at the PDF for this band saw with the cast base. It looks like it would have been a good unit. Easy to switch speeds and easy to switch between metal and wood. I also like the fact that it was a nice case base not some of the flimsy bolt together excuses we get nowadays. It looks like this saw cleaned up and restored would make a real nice addition to a home shop.

:offtopic: I hope its nice and warm down there. We have a couple inches of snow up here. :lol: :lol:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 09:47:35 PM »
Hi Don,
It is too cold down here to work in the shop,  :( that is why I have had time to research the bandsaw. My sister lives in Michigan and she said high windsand some snow. Glad I moved south.  :offtopic: but what the heck, will get back on when hhobby checks in.  :lol:
Tink

Offline hhobby

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 02:12:00 AM »
Thanks for all the help in identifying the saw. I work at UPS and this time of year it is nuts and alot of hours. I go Saturday to cut a deal on the saw. I will let everybody know what happens. Again thanks for all the info.

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 07:03:28 AM »
Things to look for are:
1. Warped or cracked table
2. cracked trunnions and guide bearing holder
3. Gear condition
4. Tire condition on wheels
5. Bearing condition on wheels and blade guides
6. Wiring condition

The table has a plug in the side at the slot for alignment. If you get the saw, I would recommend using Lignum Vitae as blade guides, because you can bury the blade teeth in it. Everything but a cracked table can be repaired easily. Good luck and thanks for the brown truck, it visits my house way too much. :lol:
Tink

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »
Thanks for all the help in identifying the saw. I work at UPS and this time of year it is nuts and alot of hours. I go Saturday to cut a deal on the saw. I will let everybody know what happens. Again thanks for all the info.

Nice Find!

It is an early model, but appears to be pretty complete.  The parts I can see missing are the table pin, and possibly the table leveling sleeve.  The lamp is referred to as a "Retirement Lamp" over on the OWWM forum because they a rare and bring "retirement" money when they come up for sale.  The sheet metal belt guard adds more value as does the OEM motor complete with the "motor condom" (shaft cover for the unused end of the motor).

My suggestion is to download and print all the "dirty paper" (several different versions of the manual) as they all contain the same text but the illustrations changed and some are clearer than others. 

Doug442 just snagged the same saw so his restoration posts should be worth watching.

Link to the "Project thread" of my 1949 model restoration http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=332.0

I managed to snare another Craftsman miter gauge for use on the band saw for cheap money and refurbed it like this:http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=376.0

Roger
Wishing he could find a saw like that for cheap, cause he ain't making much progress on the gearing conversion.
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline hhobby

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 02:39:26 AM »
Well guys I went Saturday to pick up the saw and your not going to believe this. The guy was so desperate to get it out of the lost storage space that I basically stole it. I got it for "FREE", he didn't want any money for it. It works but I will have to change the power cords because of worn spots. It came with a miter attachment but no rip fence. There is no gear oil in it so I didn't run it that long. The blade looks new and he says there is another blade in a box somewhere. There's not much rust on it so it shouldn't be that much work in restoring it. It does have the motor condom on it and the belt looks fairly new. All in all it is going to make a nice addition to my shop.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 03:34:32 AM »
hhobby

Glad to hear of your good fortune. I was hoping that you would be able to make a deal and get the saw but never expected that good of a deal. From what I have learned about it and the pictures I have seen I believe that you will have a top notch saw there when you get it cleaned up and restored etc. We will be looking forward to pictures and more as you get a chance to get into it. I realize that at present you are pretty swamped but we are patient. :lol: :lol:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 08:52:39 AM »
Wow! What a deal. You will be able to use the mitre from just about any other machine you have. You will also want to make your own rip fence for cutting wood.
Tink

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 03:30:47 PM »
Well guys I went Saturday to pick up the saw and your not going to believe this. The guy was so desperate to get it out of the lost storage space that I basically stole it. I got it for "FREE", he didn't want any money for it. It works but I will have to change the power cords because of worn spots. It came with a miter attachment but no rip fence. There is no gear oil in it so I didn't run it that long. The blade looks new and he says there is another blade in a box somewhere. There's not much rust on it so it shouldn't be that much work in restoring it. It does have the motor condom on it and the belt looks fairly new. All in all it is going to make a nice addition to my shop.

In the vernacular of the OWWM forum, "YOU SUCK!" (translated, you got a great deal).

The power cords are generally changed as a matter of safety whenever a machine comes into possession.  Adding the grounding plug is a good idea to prevent any shocking experiences. :zap:

To clean the rust from the ground table surface, start by scraping it with a good putty knife, to get the large chunks off, followed by a razor blade until the grind pattern is even, and finally work it over with penetrating oil and steel wool to put a smooth even finish on it.  I found that waxing my tables two to three times a year with carnuba wax keeps them rust free and slick as snot (the stuff used on fine woodwork, not automotive wax).

As for the missing fence, they are generally missing and rare to find an OEM.  When you do find an OEM fence it usually  requires a second mortgage.  Not to worry however as I recently acquired a "JET" band saw fence off Craig's list and mounted it by just re drilling a couple of holes in the fence track.  Honestly, all said I should have saved the $15 I spent on the fence since the guide tracks are just in the road for most of my needs and I have no intention on re sawing lumber. 

If you have a metal lathe you can make the missing table pin and leveling sleeve yourself.  I have done the CAD drawings.  If you don't have a lathe I do have have a few spares left from a run I made for the OWWM guys last year (PM me for info).

As for being slow on the rebuild?  That is the way of the "Arn".  I am working on a 16" Walker Turner band saw for a friend right now.  It has set in his shop for 6 years untouched and has been in my shop for 6 months slowly being tweaked into usable condition.  Slow progress is still progress!  These are relatively simple machines and they do make an excellent introduction to the fine art of restoring older equipment.

Roger
Old, Tired, and GRUMPY
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!