Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

T-nut for Camera mount

(1/4) > >>

Russel:
Hello everyone!

I have been reading many of the great posts here and have become inspired to start making parts instead of buying them. This past weekend, I made a mount for my point and shoot digital camera. I wanted a mount that I could secure to the T-slots on my Mill or Lathe. That way I could snap a photo or two without having to drag out the tripod and set it up.

Anyway, here is the little machine that I used to make the T-nut today:

One of the nice things about making small parts is that bulk material easy to find. I decided to make the T-nut out of a standard grade 5 hex head cap screw. First I sawed off the threaded part, then a little flycutting to thin it to the needed size.

The first side done:

Then, after flycutting the top and bottom as needed, a little off the sides:

I hope everyone likes lots of photos,

Then I milled the top so that it would fit into the T-slot. The interesting thing that I discovered is that I couldn't get a consistent surface with the end of the millbit.

So I turned it side up, so that I could machine the critical surfaces with the side of the mill bit, instead of the end. I wanted the bearing surfaces to be exert even pressure on the T-slot so as not to damage the table. (Something I learned reading here at Madmodder.) I am, in fact, a complete novice. But I do find machining fascinating!

So far, so good! Turning the part on its side to use the side of the mill bit worked.

I didn't get any photos while drilling and tapping the new T-nut, but here is the finished part. Next to it is a Sherline T-nut, which works well in sufficent numbers, but the mount that I made uses only one so that it can be oriented in different directions in relation to the table. I won't be seeing any huge loads, but I wanted a secure mount for a nice steady camera, when taking photos.

Here is another photo with the camera mount and a sherline 'holder'. Sorry if I am at a loss with some of the terminology.

And of course, here is how the mount is to be used:

Here with the tripod swivel mount on the mount:

And again, with the Camera:

Here with the tripod telescoping extension:

One mistake, that I know of, is that when I drilled and tapped the base of the mount, I apparently didn't have the Z axis aligned. So, if you look closely at this next photo you can see a slight gap at the base of the vertical threaded part on the side facing the socket head screw.

I ran out of time today, but I figure that I can machine a couple flats on the round center of the vertical threaded part and remove it. I is stuck nicely right now. And loosen up the female threads in the base a little with a tap. Hopefully that will allow enough play for the vertical threaded part to seat straight. In Idea I got from reading one of Bogstandard's fine posts...thanks! (And be sure to advise me if that is a bad idea!)

I hope I didn't get too carried away with all the photos. And, of course, all comments and criticism is not only welcome, but requested! I have learned a great deal just reading the posts here, it's time I started interacting!

Russ

dsquire:
Russel

First, welcome to MadModder. great to have you join us. Your post is great with the pictures and the dialogue. Nothing wrong as far as I can see. It is nice to see little projects like this.  :ddb: :ddb:

Be careful when machining that you don't throw metal chips or coolant at the camera. Possibly you could cover it with a plastic bag when not taking pictures!  :) :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don

CrewCab:
Nice little project Russ, and welcome to the board  :thumbup:

CC

Stilldrillin:
Welcome to the collective Russ!   :wave:

Very nicely done, and shown...... You`ll do!  :thumbup:

David D

Bernd:
Russel,

First a big welcome to the collective.  :borg:

That's exactly what we like to see lots of pictures. Very nice clear, focused and well lighted pictures I might add. Did you use a photo program to enhanse those pictures or are they just that well possed?

I also have a Sherline mill/lathe. Actually it's the lathe with milling attachment. That's my small lathe/mill setup. The large is a Logan 10" lathe and Bridgeport.

Keep up the fine work. Forgot to mention the nice job you did making the T-nut using a bolt head. I think I'm going to make some like that for my Sherline.

Regards,
Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version