Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Numptie newbie questions

<< < (2/3) > >>

AdeV:

--- Quote from: deere_x475guy on October 29, 2009, 01:09:46 PM ---Hi all, I am at work and don't have much time to reply.  AdeV I will try to help you out as much as I can.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Bob, it's much appreciated  :thumbup:

I don't have the lathe yet (next week - I can barely contain my impatience...), once I have that I should be able to start thinking of dimensions, etc.

An unrelated question for anyone: In the picture of the lathe, it can be seen with the 3-jaw chuck clamped in the 4-jaw. I didn't check when I looked @ the lathe to see if it was clamped in hard or "just nipped up" for transport. Ordinarily, if dialled in properly, would it actually be safe to run a 3-jaw in a 4-jaw? My gut says "no"... but I wonder if someone got bored with changing chucks all the time & came up with this as a "wizard wheeze"...

Pic showing 3-jaw in 4-jaw:

NickG:
Looks scary to me! The lathe looks a really nice sturdy bit of kit though.  :thumbup:

bogstandard:
Ade,

It certainly can be used that way, and is often used for producing a lot of the same offset components.

Once you have set up the first one in the three jaw and set up the four jaw for doing the offset, rather than having to set up completely over and over again, the three jaw is just slackened off and a new part to be machined fitted.

Also, if you are using say hex bar, it can be difficult to hold in a four jaw, so mounting it into a three jaw first overcomes the problem.

I hope that explains it OK

Bogs

AdeV:
Nick - it looks even sturdier in the flesh  :jaw: I knew (logically) it was a big 'un when I bought it.... but (like the Lister CS's) I was slightly surprised about just how big! Lucky I have plenty of room really...

Bogs - that's an excellent explanation, and makes perfect sense. I guess the rotational masses would demand a slow speed - those chucks aren't light - especially if the 3-jaw is off-centre. I must admit, I'm not sure I'd have thought of that as a work holding solution, had it not been set up like that already.

sbwhart:
Some chuck have a safe maximum speed stamped on them.

Cheers

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version