Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

How do I get a chuck of it's morse taper?

(1/5) > >>

NickG:
I should start by saying if you don't want to read the waffle below, you don't need to if you just want to answer the question in the subject line!!!

I was making some new jaws for my bench vise yesterday, i did them out of aluminium (that horrid shelf bracket stuff I used on my rocking engine). Am thinking I should have made steel ones as they are going to be knackered within a few weeks the stuff is so soft! The plan was to cut v grooves in both directions, just 1 down the middle and 1 right across to make it easier to grip round bar, but my method of doing it with a countersink didn't work very well so I only did the short vertical one. I was planning on doing it with the milling head cranked over with an end mill but didn't want mess up the tramming.

Anyway, getting to the point, when I was about to drill the holes I realised that the chuck supplied with my milling machine is a piece of crap. I thought it was just useless because the starting size is 5mm, but it's actually because it runs like an eccentric too! The 3MT tailstock drill from my lathe won't fit because of the tang, also, I couldn't use the drawbar with it.

So I had a brainwave, I would use the MT from the useless oversized chinese chuck and fit it to a smaller jacobs chuck I used to use with my old lathe.

So a quick blow of the hammer released the shiny chinese scrap, but lots of blows of the hammer didn't release the old chuck. To be fair it's probably been on there for a very long time. How are you supposed to get these things off?

I've probably damaged the thing by hitting it with the hammer now but at least I'll know for next time. I also thought whilst holding the MT in one hand and hitting the chuck with the hammer in the other was a bit dangerous, I was getting a bit close to my fingers, so just gave 1 last big hit for good measure .... right on the knuckle of my little finger! Actually, luckily it was just a glancing blow but I was still hopping around thinking I'd broken it!  :doh:

Even if I do get it off now, I've realised they are different sizes, the taper bit that fits into the chuck. Will I be able to turn this bit or will it all be hardened? I think the remedy here could be to buy a new chuck! I could get a 3-2MT adaptor but then I still wouldn't be able to pull it up with the drawbar.

Nick

Darren:
You need to use a wedge between the taper and chuck, that's if your taper has a groove just behind the chuck.

If not could you turn one?

NickG:
I couldn't see a groove, will have a look. Hmm not sure I'd be confident enough to turn one. I suppose you can get those arbors with 1 soft end, http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Groz-Stub-Arbors-21342.htm then I'd only have the one end to turn, typical it's  a 3/8" drawbar though, suer mine is 12mm!

Nick

Darren:
You might need to use carbide to turn it. Stick a bit of stock in the chuck, put the stock in your lathe chuck so the arbor facing out.

75Plus:
If I understand the question you want to remove the chuck from the Jacobs taper on the end of the Morse adapter. I just looked at mine and all the chucks I own (3) are bored through so the  adapter can be tapped loose from inside the chuck.

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version