Author Topic: Clock wheel cutter  (Read 54550 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Clock wheel cutter
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2009, 07:16:30 PM »
OK, well I`ve set off on the next attempt at the cutter. I have decided a few things since my last attempt.

1. Use the correct material, a suitable carbon steel and ideally heat treat a piece to test it.
2. I need to be more accurate. I did some more calculations and the difference between module cutters is tiny, clearly I need more precision.
3. I need to really sharpen the cutter.

So with that in mind I decided to dig out my mitutoyo calipers and guage vernier that was given to me from a bloke at work a few weeks ago. I haven`t used them yet and I think now is the time to learn. It puts me off because they are imperial but I`m getting much better now switching between metric and imperial over the last few months of reading both.

For the material I ordered some guage plate or ground flat stock as John Shadle suggests in his plans. Whats more, it acutally was advertised as "suitable for hardening for tooling".

I next cut the out a rough disk with the hacksaw. Drilled a hole in the centre and mounted it on the actual arbour that it will be situated on when the cutter is finished. I then trued it up in the lathe and immediately hit problems. This stuff is pretty hard! I remembered a conversation we had on here a few days ago with John (Bogs) and remembered about honing in with a stone on the cutting tip. What a difference it made, the steel started curling and shaving off. I then continued cutting in from both sides, skimming slithers off until eventually I got to a width of .05" for the tooth tip or what will become the gap between teeth. I then took this down to the correct depth for the dedendum of the teeth.

Next I needed to put on the radius 2.5mm. I really wanted to find a more accurate way of doing this but couldn`t think of anything better than John Shadle suggests in the plans. A well if it is good enough there it is good enough for me. I rounded an old 2.5mm drill bit to profile and mounted this in a little holder I made and held it with a grub screw:

I mounted this in the tool post and run the lathe on very slow with lots of oil. I thought I`d hit problems but to my astonishment, the steel started peeling off! I continued until I got to depth for the addendum and removed it all from the chuck:

If you look at the top of the picture below you can see the nice radius profile on the cutter. It looks much better than my previous attempts - much better

.... and then the battery went on the camera!

I`ve not done too much more other than remove it from the arbour and litterally cut the disk in half with a hack saw. I have then taken my time and really sharpened and honed in on the cutter edge. It is now really sharp and shiney. The great thing about this method is that you actually end up with two cutters (each half of the disk) and if an offset hole is drilled on both sides of the half disks, you end up with two cutting sides on both halfs of the cutter. John Shadle says this method takes an hour and I`ve probably put a good two hours already but I`m nearly there. I really hope this works otherwise I`m going to be pestering Stew to get this tool post grinder wheel cutting idea up and running  :whip: lol.

I`ll take more pictures tomorrow, hopefully of a finished cutter.
 :wave:

Chris

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2009, 09:22:17 PM »
I checked out the rest of his web site. Very nice. He's got some nice machines.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2009, 11:56:05 PM »
At last Chris,

You are starting to settle down, rather than jumping in with both boots on and making a balls of it.

Take your time and inwardly digest everything that you read and are told about.

Everything you require is at your fingertips, and if you follow it, rather than going off at a tangent to try your own thing first, you will have success.
You can play about later, after you have got the basic scalps hanging from your belt (or lathe tool).

Because you are making a clock, you will have plenty of time in the future for experimentation. :lol:

Bogs

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2009, 01:43:11 AM »
Darren - yes I have come accross his website and it has quite a few nice tips. I need to do a post in resources at some point, as much for my own good, with a collection of all these clock related websites. I`ve stupidly not been saving them to my favourates.

Bogs -
You are starting to settle down, rather than jumping in with both boots on and making a balls of it.
, yes I`ve been too eager to see the outcome. I figure that if I really am going to make this, then time isn`t something I should be worrying about (excuse the irony of the pun!)

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2009, 04:25:35 PM »
I was over on PP Thornton website and it got me thinking:

If I took my time and ground a similar profile on it, could I not turn my blank into a multi tooth:

Obviously I would have to take some material of the back edge of each, as it would be central mounted and therefore the relief would be need to be cut into each "tooth".

Am I missing something?

Chris

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2009, 04:49:43 PM »
If I remember right. Cutters like those are cut on a relieving lathe. The cross slide runs on a cam that makes the tool cut the relieve as the cutter revoles. That's about the least complicated way of explainging it.

Got the pics you wanted posted in the clock thread I started.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2009, 04:53:09 PM »
Am I missing something? 

Time and experience I suspect, that's what your paying for by buying one of their cutters, if you believe you can match their product then go for it .........

One reason for buying the cutter is .......... you can, .........  One reasons for making your own is ....... you believe you can, finances obviously come into the equation too ...... whatever you choose. good luck and enjoy the ride.

CC

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2009, 04:54:53 PM »
Bernd got it spot on, a long time ago I used one of those lathes along with a grinder that did a similar job.

Having said that there is another way to do a multi tooth cutter with an off set mandrel, but your too far into the job now to do it.

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2009, 06:56:18 PM »
Cheers guys, yes, I`m going to stick with this for now - it is working so I don`t know why I`m considering changing anything! I guess I was just curious. I have been speaking to someone lately who simply grinds the profile out of a piece if square tool steel and locks it into a fly cutter! That must take a steady hand on the grinder, the profile is tiny!

Anyway, just got in from the shop from making a pillar.... I`ve actually started  :dremel: :clap: I guessed I could start on some of the other parts while I figure out this gear cutting!