Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Safe from condensation

<< < (2/6) > >>

ieezitin:
Well I think the dehumidifier is the way I shall go first, it makes sense to me as you are removing the offender at source. Also the schedule of oiling over the equipment makes probably the most sense as while you are doing maintenance you are making sure no damage is being done.

I forgot to mention but it was spoken of in a reply my floor is 6” thick concrete and I know that’s hurting me, I was thinking about making a sub base planked  floor but jeeze that’s a lot of work.

Would be nice if all the tooling and machinery would be made from high grade stainless and chrome! Imagine that uh.

Any thoughts on those little packets of moisture absorbing thingies ?

Thanks for your replies  Anthony.

jim:
i lived in a VERY damp house a whike back and tried them moisture removal crystals, they sure took a lot of water out the air, but the cost would probably be better spent on heating!

Mrs JIm, thinkls that the heating in the worksop is money well spent :bugeye: just have to show her something thats gone rusty in there and shes all for me running me electric radiator :thumbup:

when you think of the money spent on tooling etc, its worth what it costs to keep it safe. i bought an electricity monitor a few years ago. since the middle of jan i've only used £60 in the workshop

John Hill:
Insulation is the key!  Condensation occurs when our precious machines have a surface temperature below that of the dew point.  The dew point rises and falls throughout the day and depending upon humidity is somewhat less than the ambient temperature and to avoid condensation we have to keep those surfaces between the two and this is easier if insulation is reducing the range of temperature change.

Heating the air, although it provides a temporary relief actually increases its water carrying ability and provides even more water should condensation occur, remember that the driest place on earth is in Antarctica.

usn ret:
Never a problem with the tinworm and its relatives here. :D Oh, by the way I live in the SoCal desert, it rained 2" last year,  :thumbup: the drops were 2" apart. :lol:
Cliff :coffee:

Weston Bye:
Years ago they used to sell a little 15 or 45W electric bar heater to put in your piano or electronic organ to drive off moisture.  The same could be applied to a machine tool:

If you can't heat the whole area you might consider dropping a tarp or blanket over your machines and leaving a (protected) 100W or so incandescent light bulb burning under the tarp.  Under the tarp it shouldn't take much energy to keep the temperature a little higher than the dewpoint.  The iron in the machine will absorb the heat and may be "slightly" more comfortable when you grasp the handwheels, and have a head start when you turn on the larger space heater to warm the rest of the shop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version