Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Making Linux Mint 7 work even better!

<< < (14/14)

Darren:
Hi, a question for you teccy types   :D

My comp is x86 type with an AMD Turion 64x2 CPU with 2gb of RAM.

Originally it had Vista 32bit installed from the manufacturers.

My question is, what bit should it have, 32 or 64  :scratch:

Russel:
Windows 7 works very well for me. I downloaded and installed the release candidate and ran it for a while. I was impressed.

As far as Vista 64 bit or 32 bit, with 2 Gb of RAM 32 bit would be fine. The biggest difference between the two versions is that 64 bit can access more RAM than 32 bit. Vista 32 will use about 3 to 3.5 Gb of RAM maximum, depending on your video display adapter memory etc. Vista 64 bit can access 128 Gb of RAM.

There are other differences, but If I were you I would use Vista 32 bit. You are less likely to have trouble with device drivers.

If you would like to read about some of the other differences, follow this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765

Darren:
Thanks Russel,

I have been playing with 7 today, first installed 32bit and the OS fell apart in about two hours. So many problems that I had to format the drive and start again.

I then installed 64bit and "touch wood" it seems to be fine all evening.

I've no idea if the first install failure was just one of those "things" or if my comp really needed 64bit?

I've spent some time reading about the subject tonight and getting the picture that the 32bit should be fine (windows would just run a tad slower "possibly")
But 64bit can give some problems depending on other hardware issues, but if they cope you should see quite a difference in performance. Just depends if the various hardware device software was designed for 64bit and it seems that many are not, even today.

And they talk about 128bit coming, jeeze, get 64 sorted first

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version