Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

I want a bigger hole

(1/3) > >>

Bluechip:
Hi Troops

This is a pic. of my 4" 4-Jaw SC Chuck.

The hole in the centre is some 22.5mm.

Is there any reason not to bore this out to 26mm? There seems to be plenty of meat on it.
The alternative is to buy a 5" 4J SC etc. chuck.
It's marked 5000 rpm. I never use it above 1800.
Any suggestions entirely at my own risk ..

Dave BC

bogstandard:
Dave,

If you take the dust cover at the back of the chuck, it is usually a plastic one on these later ones, and have a look where the scoll drive gears are.

If everything is well clear of the hole, reassemble, and put the inside jaws on and put on a large ring to tighten up against. That will open up the jaws, and at the same time lock up the scroll. Then gently open it up.

If it throws the jaws off being tight whilst cutting, and then you will need to disassemble the chuck and bore the scroll and main body seperately.

John

Bluechip:
John

Thanks for the reply. According to the spec. for the chuck, the bore is 23mm.

I will dis-assemble it, and have a shufti. It's overdue for a clean anyway.

Dave BC

Bluechip:

Dunnit  :D

Taken it out to a shade under 27mm. Just kisses the end of the scroll gear locating holes.

Can now get 3/4" square bar in about 2", instead of having it perched on the jaw ends.

Will still get a 5" though. Why not? Apparently I can't take it with me!

As an aside, I see Rotagrip have a "BISON" 5". Anyone had Bison stuff from Rotagrip ??

Dave BC

CrewCab:

--- Quote from: Bluechip on October 22, 2009, 02:01:42 PM ---Anyone had Bison stuff from Rotagrip ?? 
--- End quote ---

Not had Bison stuff Dave, but I've used Rotagrip and found them helpful and fair to deal with. IIRC I bought a set of parallels and a hunk of granite (surface block), their delivery charges on the granite were the best by far.

hth

CC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version