Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Boxford Rotary table adaptor

(1/4) > >>

raynerd:
After purchasing my new 4" Vertex and reading Darrens thread on his adaptor I decided to make my own. This would be my first time cutting a thread of such a size and to be honest, my first thread of any meaning. It would also be my first time with a MT. I should have take more pics but Darren has loads and to be honest, better than mine so here it is complete, looks a bit like a dog has been chewing on it but I`m proud of it for my first attempt!

The adaptor was threaded so that it could be bolted and clamped down:

Now that I have the adaptor, here is the selection of boxford chucks I have available, not including the 4 jaw and a few other face plates

Always a but.... BUT .... no good yet as I have run out  :( and in this setup 0.015" !!! I guess this is not usable....

These chucks are really fat - I have very little travel left with this in place (although would have a little more with the collet chuck rather than the drill chuck in place)

So I don`t know where I have gone wrong, any advice appreciated!

Chris

Darren:
Chris, no use measuring the outside of the chuck.

Chuck a bar in it and measure that....

bogstandard:
Go to the bottom of the page on here and you will see they sell adapters for Boxford.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Vertex_Rotary_Tables_and_Accessories.html

Or go to my latest post to see how it is done

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2002.0

Darren:
I believe Chris already mentioned that whilst the Myfords were cheap enough not to bother making your own, for Boxfords he thought at the price this might be a good time to have a go for himself and learn something in the process.

At £36 quid I'd have to agree, but then I would at the Myfords price too as I'm a cheapskate ... :lol:

bogstandard:
Don't get me wrong Darren, Chris asked for a solution, I showed him two possibilities. It is up to him whether he takes them on or not.

Unfortunately, the closer the tolerance you want to work to, the more it costs. Not just in monetary terms, but in time and experience.

If you haven't got either of those two, it starts to hit you in the pocket if you really want something.

That is just a fact of modern day life.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version