The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Rotary Converters

<< < (2/3) > >>

Darren:

--- Quote from: tinkerer on October 15, 2009, 05:26:01 PM ---Can't you use it as a single phase and use a capacitor to start it? Would only put out 2hp though.

--- End quote ---

Wouldn't work as the motor is 440V.  :thumbup:

Darren:

--- Quote from: John Hill on October 15, 2009, 05:42:45 PM ---Darren, I expect your isolation transformer would do the trick but be aware of insulation issues at the higher voltages. (Dont take my word on it but as far as I know all common stuff is rated at 1000volts anyway) I think the voltage will be a tad high?  It will be effectively twice the star voltage which will be more than the delta voltage. :scratch:

However, wont 5HP be pushing the current sourcing capacity of your single phase circuit?

--- End quote ---

I think most transformers are tested to about 4Kv

The 5HP should be fine, I have 8mm armour feeding the garage consumer unit, and 6mm T&E from there to the rotary. So could go up to 45A main fuse if needed. That should be more than enough. Even for heavy start up currents.
But if like most people the rotary was on a normal radial ring (socket circuit) then the main fuse would be 32A and if a wall socket was used further limited to 13A plug fuse.

Bear in mind the amperage of 440V is around half of 240V so really lots of scope what ever circuit is used.

A 240V/240V would theoretically give 480V, but with losses it should be spot on, I'm guessing as I've not tried it, but it will be close.

tinkerer:
Missed the 440 part. :bang: They can be run parallel. Thinking you have to step down the voltage with the transformer.

Darren:
This guy is making 415v 3ph from 240V single phase without a transformer using a duel voltage motor.

Anyone know if this is for real?

John Hill:

--- Quote from: Darren on October 28, 2009, 10:17:21 PM ---This guy is making 415v 3ph from 240V single phase without a transformer using a duel voltage motor.

Anyone know if this is for real?

--- End quote ---

I didnt run the video, I only have narrow gauge broadband here, but it would seem feasible in that the motor windings are acting as auto transformer windings. :scratch:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version