The Craftmans Shop > General Crafts

Working Paper Clock - James Rudolph

(1/4) > >>

raynerd:
My absolute goal has always been to make a clock. Many years ago I came across this book "My your own Working Paper Clock by James Rudolph":

I got it for about £6 off ebay. The book is basically light cardboard templates which need cutting out, folding and glueing. The templates look something like this:

There are some instructions and also many diagrams of how it all fits together that prove very useful:

I must have spent many hours working on this to get it to this stage. All the running gears are complete and the escapement:

It has since sat on a shelf at work waiting for someone to come along and finish the project off. I believe I could actually give the mechanism a go so that may be my next step. The book can still be purchased but I also found a download for it here:

http://papercraft.wdfiles.com/local--files/papercraft:working-paper-clock/Working_Paper_Clock.pdf

I guess you would need to print it out and then stick it on some card.

I`ll keep an update on progress here but I`m not too sure how long it will sit again before I get around to it. What I did find interesting was, I wonder how easy it would be to replecate this in metal using the paper as templates or to take measurements?

Chris

dsquire:
craynerd 

Well, I guess that cost that high cost will not be an excuse for building this one. Now that we are using scrap paper as our building material, where does it go from here?

Nice find Craynerd.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

raynerd:
Haha .. true!

I also forgot to post this - someone has spent ages doing a stop time time animation of this clock build. It is amazing and also a nice idea for a stop time animation project log of a metal build!

Chris

dsquire:

Since the Video in the above post has been disabled by request I have found the link and posted it here. In order to make it work, copy and paste the whole line (spaces included) into a new browser window. delete the 3 spaces in front of and behind youtube and press enter and it should work.

http://www.   youtube   .com/watch?v=ROuPRs_rJi0&feature=player_embedded

Cheers  :beer:

Don

raynerd:
Cheers Don as it is well worth a watch - interesting piece of film not only a nice project.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version