Author Topic: Union Lathe .... Help !!!  (Read 21018 times)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Union Lathe .... Help !!!
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2009, 05:48:08 AM »
Oh right, it is surprising where these things can be found though. Like I say, I saw a few that weren't in the sort of places you'd expect! I think the pure weight and size put a lot of people off but bargains can be had for people that have the room. There was a colchester student I saw the guy wanted £300 for but he couldn't show me it running and it was a hell of a size / weight! He had a really nice chipmaster at the back of his shop too but he wouldn't sell me that!

Keep looking, you'll find something!

Nick

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
Finally I got around to having another go at this part. Now with the compound slide removed and replaced with a raising block things should be a lot more rigid.

The crosslide gibs nipped up and I added a temporary DRO. This really made a difference as I could retract the tool before winding back the carriage and re-position the tool exactly where I wanted it. The DRO was only temporarily held in place with some clamps but worked perfectly.

And this is the finished article. After all the effort to get this far and considering the lathe I'm using I'm chuffed to bits. about 1" 6tpi thread. The tool was plunged in, if you can call 0.10mm per pass a plunge, reducing to 0.05mm towards the final cuts. The lathe coped fine, a touch of flexing but not enough to worry about.

That should do the job  :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »
That's great! Having just compared it with the original worn out worm shown on your Beaver gearbox repair thread, 

I bet you're feeling  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

And it just goes to show what can be done with an old machine.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »
Thanks Andy, this lathe is quite sweet to use, it will be interesting to see how it copes with other tasks?

I've added the original part here to show why I made this part

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 05:16:26 AM »
Darren this / that is an excellent thread  :lol:

How long did it take to do with those small cuts? Looks like it paid off. The spindle on my harrison is 1.5 x 6 TPI, fancy making me a back plate?!  :lol:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2009, 05:53:25 AM »
Nick, about 3 weeks .... but I did a couple of other things in between  :)

About half hour or so ... I took light cuts mainly because the tool flexed and was trying to go under the work. This was about as rigid as i could make things with what I had to hand.

I'm beginning to think these small QCTP are a bit small, I see a project coming  :ddb:

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »
Nice going Darren

:thumbup:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: