The Shop > Metal Stuff

A bit of everything!

<< < (3/3)

Rog02:
Hi Ralph:

I'll try to answer the questions in order.

--- Quote from: Divided he ad on July 21, 2008, 01:57:33 PM ---Thanks for the reply Roger, I had already thought of making it in two parts and silver soldering it together.
Would you say that the form could be made from steel? (I assume alu' would expand too fast with the heat? )
--- End quote ---

Actually, a steel spinning form is way overkill unless you are going to do a continuous run of several thousand parts.  Most forms are made of a quality hardwood such as rock maple.  I use native Missouri walnut because I have a family source to loads of air dried seasoned lumber.  The lathe attaching collar is made from steel or aluminum and I make mine so they have a center pin that locates the wood accurately.  The use of a center pin on the adapter allows me to make a couple of adapters and use them on many spinning forms by simply unscrewing the mounts and re-installing on the desired form. 

The wood forms are generally built up by gluing 2"X2"X6" blocks together to get the required stock size.  By alternating the grain patterns the block actually is more stable than a solid piece of wood and this method allows you to eliminate any knots.   

The spin shop has a library of forms that reach back to the 1920s and they often recycle a shape that is close to the current need.  Some of the aircraft cowling forms were covered in steel however the majority of the forms are wood.  Remember, the form must be sanded smooth as any imperfection in the form will be reproduced in the metal.

--- Quote from: Divided he ad on July 21, 2008, 01:57:33 PM ---I have all the tooling I need to make the required rest, pegs and curved forms, I just need to know a few minor details like where to find the grease/lube'  to use on the workpiece? The centre pin you talk about, would the live centre of a metal lathe be any good if the form has a small recess(centre drill hole) in it for the dent/tip of the centre to go through?
--- End quote ---

The "grease" is actually a compound of grease, soap chips, and oil.  The oldtime spinners used sheep tallow, but that is next to impossible to find these days unless you wish to render it yourself.

As for the centering device I would turn a bushing with a pin on the work face that will sink into a center bore in the form and on the other end have a recess for the live center to run in.  By using a straight pin in the center and a larger flat surface you get a better clamp than by trying to hold the work by forcing a taper into the surface.

--- Quote from: Divided he ad on July 21, 2008, 01:57:33 PM ---This lilly making sounds a lot harder than one might imagine!.... Shrinking, stretching and forming stakes!!! I have much to learn!!  ;D
Ralph.
--- End quote ---

"This Lily" is considerably more elaborate than the average metal flower.  This particular piece was done on commission and it now mounted on mausoleum. 
I teach basic metal rose making using nothing more than an ordinary claw hammer and a trailer ball hitch.  Flowers are easy and the local high school art departments ask me to come and do demonstrations on metal sculpture.  Though I use some pretty sophisticated equipment in the shop, I would not teach much to a kid that doesn't have access to few thousand dollars worth of equipment, if that is all I demo'd.  My little art demo is centered around flower making with the claw hammer, hitch ball dolly, tin snips, propane torch and plumbers solder.  The material is copper roof flashing and 0 gauge electrical ground wire, both of which you can usually find at any decent hardware store.

If you are interested in learning metalshaping I might suggest looking at The Metalshapers Association website at www.allshops.org
We also have a Saturday evening chat session that runs from 7:00 PM CDT until around midnight.  For those you across the pond that would be 0200 Greenwich Sunday morning :o.  For those of the Aussie persuasion, Clive tells me he is on at 9:00 AM Sunday morning.  We will be glad to answer all questions about basic metal shaping.  The link and info are available at the MSA homepage.

Roger
AKA The Grumpy_OldMan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version