The Shop > Metal Stuff

A bit of everything!

(1/3) > >>

Rog02:
I do a lot of sheet metal work.  Some architectural restoration, some hot rod, a lot of aircraft, and some plain old "shop art".

The lily is polished copper and bronze, slightly larger than living scale.  The bell it is displayed in here is a spun lamp shade I made for a contract kitchen job.  This one was a reject as it has some ripples where I over stretched the metal :(.

Roger
Old, Tired and Grumpy as always.

Brass_Machine:
Hey Roger!

Nice piece. I hang around and read the Metal Spinning Workshop forum. Terry is pretty close to me. As soon as I can afford it, I am there to take classes.

Got any pictures of any other work you have done? What do you use for your spinning set up?

Eric

PTsideshow:
very nice, work ;D

Rog02:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on May 19, 2008, 01:25:29 AM ---Hey Roger!

Nice piece. I hang around and read the Metal Spinning Workshop forum. Terry is pretty close to me. As soon as I can afford it, I am there to take classes.

Got any pictures of any other work you have done? What do you use for your spinning set up?

Eric
--- End quote ---

Hi Eric:

Thanks!

The spinning was done on an old Oliver wood lathe that was converted to a spinning lathe.  The lathe belongs to a friend of mine and it is for sale.  I have actually  done very little spinning work.  Just enough to know there is a lot to learn about it.

Terry's DVD is a good introduction to spinning.

I'm on the Board of Moderators at The Metalshapers Association and there are a bunch of albums on the MSA website at www.allshops.org  We also maintain a Yahoo group for the everyday chatter at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/metalshapers/ 

Anyone interested in sheet metal work can join us on our Saturday night chat session.  It usually begins around 7:00 PM CDT and runs until the last liar quits.  The object of the chat is to share experience with newcomers.  All questions will be answered and a lot of shoptalk, bench racing, and hangar flying to boot.  I am the Grumpy_Oldman on the chat.

Roger
Old, Tired, and Grumpy as always

Divided he ad:
Hi.... I want to make a sphere!!!

There's the statement, here are the issues... I only have a small workshop and in it I omly have a 9x20 metal lathe... (I only want a sphere 2" dia)  Can you use this to spin successfully? I would obviously make a tool rest and appropriate tools (that's the easy bit!)
I just wondered why it always seems to be a wood lathe?

Oh, nice lilly too Roger, I like shiny  ;D  How do you get the shape/effect, do you just beat it?

Ralph.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version