The Craftmans Shop > Radio Control Models

Hot Wire Foam Cutter

<< < (3/3)

andyf:
Yeah, Berndt. Turn him upside down so he doesn't drown, and chuck him in the Atlantic - the westerlies should soon blow him over here  :thumbup:

For interest, here's the freehand foamcutter I made to avoid getting polystyrene granules everywhere when cutting up slabs of the stuff to insulate my shop. Made of bits of PCB and hairdrier heater, tensioned by my forefinger on the PCB "trigger". It worked quite well, but only in straightish lines, because of the thin metal riving blade which helped prevent the foam sealing up again behind the wire.

Andy

jatt:
Might have to give the hot wire a go on some soft foam.

Most of the time I just use an electric knife.  Unfortunately the thicker stuff really taxes the motor.  Waiting for it to let the smoke out. 

Fortunately I dont have to contend with bits of polysytrene going everywhere.

Bernd:
If your going to build one attach the wire on one end to a spring or counter weight to keep the wire taunt (stretched) or it won't cut perfectley.

I'm going to modify mine when I'm done with the boat.

Bernd

PTsideshow:

--- Quote from: jatt on October 02, 2009, 06:17:57 PM ---Might have to give the hot wire a go on some soft foam.

Most of the time I just use an electric knife.  Unfortunately the thicker stuff really taxes the motor.  Waiting for it to let the smoke out. 

Fortunately I dont have to contend with bits of polysytrene going everywhere.

--- End quote ---

Do not use an electric hot wire cutter on upholstery Foam rubber as very toxic fumes are released Having built foam rubber clown props for close to 30 years. That is the fastest was to get a trip to the emergency room.

And most doctors will not think to ask a bout cutting seat cushion foam with a hot wire cutter.
had a couple of teenagers that were to smart to listen to me at a magic shop I supplied. one was in a coma and the other was very close.

Head aches and nose bleeds are two of the symptoms, so if you do make sure that a loved one or pin a note to your chest so they know what to treat you for.

I know they have changed the formula to remove the toxic agents, I but some people use used cushions. And don't know the age of the foam.

PTsideshow:
He's a video from MIT on using the dock building high density foam and hot wire cutter.
video is a little choppy as it reloads.
http://techtv.mit.edu/videos/2175-learning-to-cut-blue-foam-with-dave-wallace
It is 14 minutes long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version