Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

clamping round bar

<< < (2/3) > >>

raynerd:
my bad, didn`t read properly, thought you could have an overhang out of the V-block and square that up then part of

bogstandard:
Ian,

Are you using the solid ali block type of vertical slide, as normally supplied for the Peatol lathe (called a Taig in the US)?

If so, you will need to make some deeper vice jaws (at least 25mm deep for holding 40mm diam bar), unless you stand the bar upright and clamp on the ends of the bar. I don't think the jaws on your four jaw will be deep enough to hold more than the two bar ends, and even then it might not be very secure.

Bogs

boatmadman:
Bogs,

Yes its the solid ali block vertical slide.

Deeper vice jaws, another easy solution!

I will have to check my 4 jaw chuck to see if that is an option, but bigger vice jaws sounds favourite at the moment.

Ian

bogstandard:
Ian,

If you get stuck with the making of the jaws, if you can make up a sketch of the ones you have now, including size and depth of cap screws and head recess (if any), I will see what can be done.

Bogs

boatmadman:
John,

You are a star.

I have just tried a bit of cast round in the 4 jaw chuck, it worked ok, but I was a little concerned about the tool thumping into the workpeice twice a rev - doesnt feel right to me, even when taking very small cuts.

Should this worry me? Or is it just lack of experience?

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version