Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

Cedge's Victorian Finally becomes a Hit and Miss Engine

(1/4) > >>

cedge:
For those who loyally followed the recent Victorian project, you'll recall the engine was originally designed to function as a hit and miss engine. Up until now, I've been running it only as a conventional gas engine in order to season it in and get things loosened up enough to run the little fellow reliably.

Since I originally stated that it would eventually run as as a Hit and Miss, I began tinkering with that aspect this week. After all.... it ain't really finished until it runs like it was designed to run. To my surprise,especially after all the shenanigans this little engine has thrown my way, the darned thing settled into its new role with next to no resistance. Even my wild ass guess at the governor spring length and tension was very close to where it needed to be.

Some more experimentation is due, but I'm told it isn't unusual to still be tweaking these little IC engines quite a while after they are "finished". I'm sure that will be the case with mine as well.

As it stand now, it will hit and then miss as many as 3 revolutions before hitting again. It usually hits once, although it has hit up to 3 times to get things back up to speed. I'm actually happy with that, even as I look for ways to extend the miss cycle a bit. I'll be adding a lock out so that I switch between hit and miss and conventional running. I really do like the way it sounds in conventional mode.

Anyhow..... here is the video of the little engine doing the hit and miss thing.

Steve

dsquire:
Steve

Very nice. You have got that thing purring like a kitten. Just what you wanted. You can be proud of that baby. :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

bogstandard:
Spot   spot   spot  er  er  on  on.

In all honesty Steve, I now think the sound matches it's looks, I personally prefer it this way.

Luverly job

John

sbwhart:
It really knocks out a dance tune Steve, very nice  :thumbup:

I wonderful bit of work

Stew

Darren:
Steve you have truly created a master there, I think anyone would be proud...well done....sounds sweet... :bow:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version