Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

An idea for drill sharpening jig

(1/11) > >>

sorveltaja:
When looking properly sharpened drill bit's grinded surface from the side, instead of being flat, it seems to have some kind of thread-like pitch in it.

Maybe an old idea, but for example, piece of trapezoid or similar flat-threaded would act as a 'jig'.

Comparison between metric drill bit, and thread. Pitch is about 4,65 mm.

My lathe's highest(or is it lowest?) metric pitch is only 1,5 mm, so I probably have to hunt some surplus clamp or vice, that has at least 4,5 mm pitch screw in it, to see in practise, if that idea is any good.

DICKEYBIRD:
That's a pretty brilliant idea!  All we need is a CNC ballscrew with the 4.5 mm pitch and give it a whirl.   :proj:  :ddb:

ps: What CAD program did you use to draw the pic?  Beautiful work!

sorveltaja:
An evaluation version of Rhino 3D is used. Although it has limited save times, it's possible to make small demonstrations with it ::).

John Hill:
Now that is interesting, I suppose one could mount a tool post grinder, set up an appropriate thread pitch and carefully hand turn the spindle half a turn to grind one flute, then, somehow  :scratch: set it up to grind the other flute.

sorveltaja:
Another idea how to make pitch adjustable. Red part is a spring, and blue one adjusts its axial length, and its pitch also:

Next thing would be to add part, that follows spring's pitch. I haven't yet discovered how to achieve that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version