Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

920 lathe cross slide bearing mod

(1/2) > >>

matnewsholme:
just a minor mod. my lathe is a variant on the common 920 lathe. The handwheels all run withouit any bearings and are a pain to adjust.
So I knocked up a new mount for the cross slide an incorporated a couple of ball bearings. makes a major difference to the smoothness of the action :D I realise that I should really have used thrust bearings but there was no room to get any in and I think the standard ones will be ok.

Matt

this shows the  old mount on the left and the new one on the right.

a couple more views

and finally the part fitted :D

sbwhart:
Nice one  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I wouldn't have thought having thrust bearings would have made much difference, very nice mod.

Thanks for showing

Stew

Gerhard Olivier:
That is very nicely done Mat

Do let us know how much differance it makes please as this is on my list (near the top actually).

Gerhard

matnewsholme:
hi geroli

Its made a very noticeable difference. Slide is very smooth now, whereas it always used to bind at certain points in travel before, plus Ive been able to tighten gib screws up quite a bit which improves rigidity, Parting is a lot better. Im so impressed im in process of doing a similar mod to the compound on this lathe and the xslide and compound on my 7x10 lathe too.

Matt

Gerhard Olivier:
That is nice to know - I have a lot of stuff that I want to do -nice to know the ones that make a diff.

What size is the bearing??

Nice looking mod aswell.

Gerhard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version