Author Topic: Lathe purchase  (Read 15763 times)

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
Re: Lathe purchase
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 08:42:48 AM »
Thanks Davo J.  Yeah already had a look at it on their site.  Will have to give em a call and see if there are any stockists/distributors down my way.   
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 04:43:11 AM »
Davo J -- checked out a Gasweld shop whilst in Melb the other day.  Their display unit had a nice coating of rust on the bed and the headstock cover over the belt was missing .  Forklift incident apparently.  Ok first impressions were not good.  The salesman recovered some ground when he said there were 2 in the box out back.  Pricing was a bit better than H&F.

Didnt get to spend as much time as would have liked checking it out, boss rang and gave me a last minute mission to pick up some stuff.  Damn you its my day off!!!!!!!  Cant complain too much, letting me build my gantry in the workshop.

Think If I end up buying from there will tow the tandem down and pick up from the shop.  a lot of the Stuff that gets ordered thru work seems to cop damage by the time we get it.
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 04:53:02 AM »
Jatt, I got a lot off the price of my lathe because it had been sitting in the shop and looked really rusty.  When I got it home the rust all came off with a scotch brite pad and I think most of it was congealed dragon fat anyway, or whatever it is our Chinese friends smother all over new machines.

You do need the belt guard though as if it is like mine there is a micro switch in there and you cant even start it without the cover on. Of course you could do away with all that I suppose.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Davo J

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 10:33:08 AM »
Jatt
Yea that is a bad first impresion, but that's only a display lathe. I picked up mine in person they loaded it with a fork. I only took a standard box trailer as it only weighs around 450kg and all went fine for the 20km trip home. Strait out of the crate I was impressed with the lathe it has a better fit and finishes than the hare a Forbes ones, also it has backplate mounted chucks, unlike H&F D1-4 chucks. In 6 years I have not had a problem it. I bartered the price and got them to through in the stand and live centre for free. If you can get your boss to buy it on his account, you can get the GST off which will make it cheaper for you by around $350.
I added a Miester 3 axis DRO and an H&F QA150 quick change toolpost about 4 years ago which has made it much more pleasurable to use.
John
There is no micro switch on my cover, but it is 6years old so things might have changed. Also the belt cover on these lathes are fiberglass, so it would not take much to damage it especially with a fork lift.
Davo