Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

advice please on interfance fit

(1/2) > >>

jim:
i need to shrink fit a boss on to a shaft, i've had conflicting advice as to the amount i need the shaft bigger than the bore.

the bore is 18.2mm (.7625") its fairly solid ( up to 2" dia and 1 1/4" long.

i'm thinking about .001, is that enough??

thanks jimmyo

sbwhart:
Hi Jimmy

I did a bit of shrink fitting on my elbow engine I think you'll need a bit more say 0.003". What duty as the bit to do, high strength loctite is very good stuff, with a size on size or slight interfearance and loctite you'll get a good strong joint good enough for most aplications.

Have fun

Stew

jim:

--- Quote from: sbwhart on September 10, 2009, 01:27:29 PM ---Hi Jimmy

I did a bit of shrink fitting on my elbow engine I think you'll need a bit more say 0.003". What duty as the bit to do, high strength loctite is very good stuff, with a size on size or slight interfearance and loctite you'll get a good strong joint good enough for most aplications.

Have fun

Stew

--- End quote ---
thanks
its for a wood cutting saw, i'm just a bit worried about getting it half on and getting stuck!

if i can get the boss red, what sort of time frame do you think i'll have and is it worth freezing the shaft (given its dia?)

cheers jim

NickG:
Stew, I thought you needed a clearance for the loctite to work, a bit like silver solder? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

Nick

sbwhart:
Hi Nick

It will work Ok with clearance but its best with an interference.

Do you know the loctite rep he was always at RG he's also a bit of a model man, worth having a chat too he'll tell you best way to use the stuff, but not very forthcoming with free samples  :lol:

Have fun

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version