The Shop > Tools

Grinding tools, should I make a jig

(1/3) > >>

28ten:
I have ground tools in the past, but with limited success, and for the last few years I have used indexable tools. Anyway I want to have a crack at grinding my tools again, is it worth me making simple angle jig to help? or should I just practice more?  :D I have seen the old boys doing it freehand and they tell me how simple it is but when I try I get something with about 6 different angles on  :bang:

bogstandard:
Cynric, you have answered your own question.

--- Quote ---when I try I get something with about 6 different angles on
--- End quote ---

Is it six jigs for all the individual angles, or one jig with all angles the same.

To be really honest, and I have said this before, it really is just a matter of getting down to it and playing about. The angles are not super crititical, and most angle grinding charts are for 'ideal' situations. 99% of the work we do couldn't really be classed as ideal.
It is easy for me to tell you how easy it should be, because I do it all the time without thinking about it, but I do understand your frustrations about getting it right.

Concentrate on one face at a time, get it right, then go to the next one.
I always grind side, front then top, if that is of any help.

If needs be, felt tip mark up the part you want to grind, with the angle you want, and grind away until one face is done, then grind the next face.

A few basic rules

Keep the tool cool when grinding.

Always keep your grinding wheels well dressed and with nice square faces.

Make sure you have rigid tool rests. If you have ones that wobble, you will get nice wobbly faces.

After you have finished grinding, hone the top face to give nice keen edges on top of the front and side faces. Don't use diamond for honing HSS, if you can, get an Arkansas stone for doing the job. Mine is about 30 years old and still doing a good job. If you can't get one, a fine emery stone with oil should be OK, or even a large chisel oilstone will do. Those edges have to be razor sharp for doing a good job.

John

28ten:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on September 07, 2009, 03:18:07 PM ---Cynric, you have answered your own question.

--- Quote ---when I try I get something with about 6 different angles on
--- End quote ---

Is it six jigs for all the individual angles, or one jig with all angles the same.

To be really honest, and I have said this before, it really is just a matter of getting down to it and playing about. The angles are not super crititical, and most angle grinding charts are for 'ideal' situations. 99% of the work we do couldn't really be classed as ideal.
It is easy for me to tell you how easy it should be, because I do it all the time without thinking about it, but I do understand your frustrations about getting it right.

Concentrate on one face at a time, get it right, then go to the next one.
I always grind side, front then top, if that is of any help.

If needs be, felt tip mark up the part you want to grind, with the angle you want, and grind away until one face is done, then grind the next face.

A few basic rules

Keep the tool cool when grinding.

Always keep your grinding wheels well dressed and with nice square faces.

Make sure you have rigid tool rests. If you have ones that wobble, you will get nice wobbly faces.

After you have finished grinding, hone the top face to give nice keen edges on top of the front and side faces. Don't use diamond for honing HSS, if you can, get an Arkansas stone for doing the job. Mine is about 30 years old and still doing a good job. If you can't get one, a fine emery stone with oil should be OK, or even a large chisel oilstone will do. Those edges have to be razor sharp for doing a good job.

John

--- End quote ---
I thought you might say it was practice!
I guess i'll just have to order a box of HSS toolsteel and get on with it  :D I can see me turning up at your door again  :D  It might be worth my while making a new tool rest, maybe a new wheel as well, it was the brown you recommended wasn't it ?

jim:
when i served my apprenticeship, you had to grind all your own tools, by hand.

it really is just practice :dremel:

when i grind up tools and drills, i colour the end of the tool with marker pen, makes it much easier to see at a glance if its all ok :thumbup:

bogstandard:
Cynric,

Both RDG and Arc do very good prices for HSS blanks.

I only use a brown wheel because I can, a normal fine grey grit will do just fine normally.

Dressing of the wheel is very important, and almost any of the latest diamond flat edged ones do a good job.

I personally use the multi point one here

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Diamond-Tools/Diamond-Dressers

But they create loads of very abrasive dust, so cover everthing up well before dressing.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version