Author Topic: Improving a Compound Slide  (Read 3909 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Improving a Compound Slide
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:31:37 AM »
Hi Chaps

The compound slide as supplied with my 3 in 1 (Chester Model B) to say the least is not very good, in the 3 in 1 mode it doubles as the milling vice, it doesn't have a graduations hand wheel, and it must have at least 2mm of back lash.

I have a project coming up that will require quite a bit of screw cutting, and as I like to screw cut with the compound set over at half the thread angle, it would be impossible to do this with the compound as it is.

So to sort it out

The compound

Stripped

The nut was a sloppy fit in the base, adding too the back las,h and the thread fit was not too cleaver.
To fix it:- it was glued into the base with High strength loctite and to take some of the thread slop out I twisted it slightly off centre:- that got rid of some of the slop.

The handle and screw thread had over 1mm of movement axially so I made a stepped thrust washer to take this play up between the handle and the screw.

That got the backlash down to a more manageable level.

Now to deal with the lack of a dial. I fitted a DRO to the milling function of the 3 in 1 with the purchase of my mill this became redundant, so decided to use it on the Compound.

Drilling some fixing holes.

Making use of the original bracket and one new bracket this is what I got.

Does it work

Well the project I've got in mind the threads will have to be cut up against a shoulder, as my machine doesn't have a drop in dial I have to keep the lead screw engauged and revers the spindle, also the slowest speed my machine has is 70 RPM so I'll have to work round this.

So decided to have a practice run

Internal threading

With the machine in reverse and working at the back so that you thread away from the shoulder.

External threading

Again working with the machine in reverse and working from the back so that you thread away from the shoulder.

External thread

Well that seemed to work Ok

Just a few bits of material to get together and I'll be ready to start my next project a tool post grinder.

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

Re: Improving a Compound Slide
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:00:59 PM »
Stew,

Getting rid off that lead nut backlash is a fairly easy job. I will explain next time you come around. Also you need to get that lead nut properly anchored to the slide, again, it should be fairly easy to do.

BTW, your hole is drilled.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Improving a Compound Slide
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »
Thanks John

I'll be pop round tomorrow afternoon if thats OK

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: