Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Turning cast iron.

<< < (2/2)

Jonny:
Sounds like it bothers you John. Its the intermittent cutting that causes that same with turning things like square to round.
Could put a card close by to redirect the chippings.
Worst of the lot phosphur bronze and brass, hate the stuff. Gave nearly all the brass etc away but once had to do a job only 1 1/4" dia x 10" long, putting a cut on and traverse down chippings were travelling 5ft to an internal wall bouncing back another 4ft then sticking in your skin.

For the tough uns dress up, gloves, goggles, helmet, fully done up coat etc

I clean up steel swarf when i can be bothered with a broom and spade.

Majorstrain:
Hi John,
Have you thought about rigging up the shop vacuum cleaner hose to the carriage so that it sucks the dust away as it comes off the cutting tool.
If you don't have a shop vac, just prey the wife doesn't notice the house vac missing be for you get it cleaned and back to where it belongs. :hammer:
Cheers, :beer:
Phil

No1_sonuk:

--- Quote from: Majorstrain on September 04, 2009, 10:14:35 AM ---Hi John,
Have you thought about rigging up the shop vacuum cleaner hose to the carriage so that it sucks the dust away as it comes off the cutting tool.
--- End quote ---
On that note, I have a tumble drier condensor hose that I use with an old Dyson vac.  I got it as a spare from a DIY store (it was Homebase for UK readers).  It's about 1 inch dia.  One end fits the vac, and the other end fits most woodworking* power tool extractor outlets, but it's also flexible enough to wave around to clean up swarf.  Next time I cut some brass, I may fix it near my toolpost.  Bloody stuff gets everywhere!

* Woodworking is like metalworking, but it makes dust instead of swarf.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version