Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Another doodad for my lathe...

(1/2) > >>

arnoldb:
As one of the "parts" I needed to make for my ER collet chuck is a spindle nose replica for my ML7, I thought about putting it to good use.

Not having a milling machine  :( (Yet!) and always having to set up and align the vertical slide and my prized original Myford dividing head to do "menial" jobs, while sacrificing rigidity, I have been toying with a "quick-index" I can mount on the cross-slide to do these jobs.  The dividing head can also be VERY awkward to set up for some jobs; there sometimes just is not enough travel available to use it!!!

So this thread is about "turning" (pun intended  ::) ) a part needed for one project into a useful bit for another.

I started with this:

While the collet-chuck-in-making was still in the lathe, I screwed the nose replica into it, and turned down the unfinished end to 30mm:

Some drilling followed and then tapping M10 from the tailstock:

As the collet chuck-in-making was still mounted in my 4-jaw chuck, I used the 3-jaw to turn a base plate - the deepish dimple  in the center is just to make sure that the plate will lie truly flat on the cross-slide:

After scratching around my available material, I found some HRS bar stock that should work for the column, but it was slightly too narrow, so I turned the spindle shaft down further to 22mm; Not having removed the collet chuck body from the 4-jaw, I just screwed the new spindle into it,and the whole lot back on the lathe and turned down - no run-out  :headbang: - VERY nice!
I also used a piece of 10mm square bar stock to make a mounting guide with a 5mm hole at the half-way mark and equivalent 5 mm threaded hole in the base.  The guide and base were screwed together, and set square, and then I drilled and reamed 6 mm holes through both guide and base at the ends of the bar. 2 short pieces of 6mm silver steel loctited into the guide ends , and it can be removed if needed, and placed back accurately.
Here is collection of spares so far:

With some welding, boring, slitting et al, the lot will go together sort of like this:

There's still a lot to be done: a quick-index 24 hole plate, and a worm and gear drive to be used for milling curves.  I will also add additional bracing to make it more rigid. Another "simple" job turned into  :proj:  :doh:

:beer: Arnold

sbwhart:
Nice Idea Arnold  :thumbup:

I may have use for this one with a little project I've got in mind.

Thanks

Stew

CrewCab:
Nice work Arnold, and ............. I suspect your having fun  :thumbup:  ........... Good man  :beer:

CC

arnoldb:
Thanks guys  :beer:
Stew, you're welcome; I'm building this off the top of my head with any available material, so I don't have a drawing or exact dimensions.  If you'd like, I could make one for you once done.
CC - your suspicions is spot-on  :) :)

Cheers, Arnold

sbwhart:
Hi Arnold

Just watching your build will do the trick, I'll probably use different material than you depending what I've got in my stash, as long as I get the idea  :scratch:.

Thanks for the offer

Have fun

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version