The Shop > Finishing

Rust Removal

<< < (3/12) > >>

CrewCab:
Nice one Darren  :thumbup: ................ though I'm with David D, the  garden can have the soup  :lol:

CC

bogstandard:
For smaller parts and a little less exotic setup, you could try this.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/New-Products/Shield-Technology-Products

Horses for courses.

Bogs

Darren:
No thanks.....far too expensive...I've been down that route many times in the past.

There is nothing exotic about what I'm doing. It's just a bucket, some scrap metal, water and about 20 pence worth of washing soda that will last a very long time.

OK I'm using a fancy power supply, but an old phone charger would work equally as well.

Electrical cost, well 500ma at 5V is 2.5W, that's about 250hrs to use one unit of electricity at around 14 pence. So around 1.3p per 24hrs

That £12 tub wouldn't be enough to clean my one part, never mind the rest of it. You'd be better off with a 26p jar of vinegar, it'll do the same job.
Or a gallon of brick cleaner from your building merchant, mix with wallpaper paste and you're away.
And then there is the de-greasing and paint stripping to be done before hand....

Of course all this only works if you can submerge the part.

Bluechip:
I'm with you Darren, used your method a lot, 12V 2A wall wart is series with a  55W headlamp bulb. (Won't light up much BTW)

Good for getting ally pinning out of files.

You can use it with non-submerged parts, use a flannel 'poultice', tape the anode to it. Keep it wet.

Works well, dump the bit in, leave it to it.

My sort of energetic activity  :D

Dave BC

Jonny:
Nice one never thought of trying that. Thought those electrolytic cleaners were something special.
For general metal cleaning you can boil metals with washing soda.

I have a couple of psu's i used for my anodising, one dual output very similar to yours the other a Maplin 0-30V analogue jobby as backup.

You say this removes the rust to base level, therefore if say thin walled tube with pitt marks would it eventually remove in the holes without eroding what you want to keep?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version