The Shop > Tools

Do I have a gear going south?

(1/4) > >>

websterz:
I just finished a top to bottom teardown of my 7x12, shimming, checking, re-checking, testing, everything was juuuuust right. I decided to finally make the new hand wheels I have been planning and when I started facing off a piece of 3" 6061 the popping started in my headstock. I am afraid I have a gear going out. I didn't inspect them when I had the headstock off last week, just a cursory check for chips, a dab of white lithium, and I put it back together. I am wondering about the ups and downs of replacing the plastic gear with metal. Anyone done it? And, if I am going to all the trouble to replace the main gear I might as well do a bearing job while I'm at it, right? I have not had any bearing related issues yet but appreciate the benefits of converting to tapered roller bearings. Should I just bite the bullet and do it?

Darren:
Been there, done that....just do it.....it's not hard any of it..... :thumbup:

websterz:

--- Quote from: Darren on August 21, 2009, 06:29:23 PM ---Been there, done that....just do it.....it's not hard any of it..... :thumbup:

--- End quote ---

I wasn't too worried about the difficulty level. I have had both my machines torn down to nuts and bolts several times and I am quite comfortable tearing into them.  :dremel: Guess I will order the parts from LMS and plan on another tear down next week.  :doh: Anything else I should replace besides the spindle gear and bearings while I am in there? I have already:

Installed tapered saddle gibs
Made new ali-bronze gibs for crossfeed and compound
Made a new tailstock base with set-over adjustment
Installed a tailstock Cam Lock
Relocated the control box
Upgraded to a 350 watt controller
Upgraded to a 4" 3 jaw chuck

Any suggestions?

:proj:

Darren:
There's not that much in the headstock you could change/improve...sounds like you've been pretty busy with the rest of it.... :dremel:

Richard48:
Before you tear the head off of your lathe have a look at the drive belt. If it is lose or in bad shape if can make a popping sound that will sound as if it is coming from inside of the head.

Had the same thing happened too my some time back.

Good luck.
Richard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version