Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Making rectangular plate in to a round plate on the mill.

<< < (2/2)

websterz:

--- Quote from: deere_x475guy on August 20, 2009, 07:48:06 PM ---Well gang, I am finally getting around to posting a small project I did for Weston.  I won't tell you why he needed this.  That's his job when he gets ready. :)

Weston had handed me a piece of 1/4" plate rectangular in shape and ask me if I would make it round for him.  I, of course said, "you bet".  I thought about first trimming the corners off to make an octagon shape to start out, then take it over to the lathe.  Then I thought....hey I can use my face plate on the mill  :beer:  So that's what I did.  The rotary table was already zeroed from the last part I did so I was able to skip that step.  Starting out by clamping it first to the faceplate so I could drill two holes to put 2 bolts through

then I set the edge of my end mill .02 outside of what I wanted for a final dimension I began to make my roughing cut.  I used carbide 3/4" fine toothed roughing mill and started to take a .250 deep cut.  I went as far as you see here and decided I needed to back it down to .100.

Here is a shot of the finished rough cut.

I placed in a regular ¾” end mill to make take it to the final dimension.  I don’t know about you guys but I have found that the side cut of a rough cut end mill is really rough…..hmmmm…..maybe that’s why they call it “rough cut” :beer:.

Here is how the part turned out.

Weston picked the part up from me this evening and will continue on later with the saga of this now round object.)…Stay tuned.

--- End quote ---

What size is your rotab? It's a Grizz...I can tell that by looking. It looks just like mine. :D

DeereGuy:
It's a 6 inch that I bought used about 5 years ago and I have no idea who the manufacturer is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version