Author Topic: Warco 918 Tumbler reverse  (Read 13896 times)

Offline Gerhard Olivier

Warco 918 Tumbler reverse
« on: August 07, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
Hi all this is a mod that has already taken a lot of time

My Warco 918 (simular to 9x 20 lathes ) is in the house and  children 2 and 4 years old I only realy get time to work when they sleep, To keep the noise down as much as poss I decided to make a tumbler reverse so that I could use the neutral position when I dont need the leadscrew to turn, cutting down on the noise.

As this is going to be a longterm part of the lathe I wanted it to look part of rather than stuck on.!!!!

For the rocker I used 6mm Alu plate and made the bushing and the spacer piece of Bronze.

And decided to use the 6mm bearings that I had in the box for the gears rather than bushes. They have just been bored to a very tight fit and friction fitted together????

The lot together looks like this

All that fits to the lathe using the origional oiling pin and that makes gear change as easy as it was before.

Will keep u updated.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Warco 918 Tumbler reverse
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »
I love to see people modifying their tools to suit themselves, I'm just as guilty  :smart:

Nice work  :beer:

CC

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »
Nice job mate...I too work as a vampire while my wife and 8 month old daughter sleep. Disengaging the lead screw certainly makes a difference to the volume... I have to say that your post has sparked some concern! I am not clear how your modification works but on my model A - Boxford lathe, I have a lever for forward, reverse, neutral and simply run the lathe in neutral to stop the lead screw turning and cut down on noise. Should I not be doing this or does your lathe not have this function and hence the need for your mod.?

All the best.

Chris

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:24:15 PM »
The 9x20 lathe has the leadscrew always running and cant cut left hand threads at all.  Apparantly cuases lots of unneccesary wear.  This link will explain better than I can.  http://www.bedair.org/Tumble/Tumble1.html

Other mods just disingage the leadscrew but why do a mod that does one thing when you could do one that does lots.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »
Very good to see someone having a go at this mod - I have long seen it on Steve Bedair's site and wondered how difficult it could be to fabricate.
Smashing bit of work.
Respects

Peter

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 03:20:36 PM »
I'll be watching with interest too, I still have a 9x20 sitting in the garage which is most likely going to my eldest son, so no doubt we too could be embarking on one of these soon.

Well done Gerhard, lot's of pictures would be good if you get the chance  :thumbup:

CC

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »
Thanks all

just logging today (Last nights) effords.

and

These are for the gear selector - I want to make a round knob that has a lever on the front for selecting neutral forward etc and then a small knob on the side to act as a lock for the positions.

Both big bits are ALu and the small one is 303 Stainless (easier to lathe that some mild steel)

I realize that this doesn't explain much but when you see it all together it will start to make sense.

Gerhard

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:31:49 PM by geroli »
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 01:34:51 PM »
Gerhard,

Thanks for starting this thread... I love modifying or making tools. Sometimes I have more fun building a jig to make a piece to help make a part??

Very good!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »
This one has been a lot of fun and some frustration :bang:

In hole much easier than I expected- like the machine was made to have the tumbler reverse in.

Ok so I have finished but as always (with me anyway  :scratch:) There is some things that needs changing right away.

The gear selector looks ok and works fine but there is a couple of mm play in each setting.

Propably due to the spring lock not being exactly drilled to the diameter of index pin????

The working of the selector started with brass pinn tread with die cutter m6 before parting off.

And ready for use

The thing I dont like is that I calculated the eccentric and drilled at the exact measurement - the neutral as you can see from first pic is straight forward, but for the forward gear the selector is straight up and straight down for the backward gear. And I think it looks wrong.  I would need to increase the throw by increasing the distance the eccentric is from the axis.?????????  If I can get it to be 30 degrees up and 30 degrees down would be about right????  Anyway this is the picture of the inside as it is now

When you look at something and it just isn't right?? :(

Hope you can understand my rambling
will post and update soon I hope

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 05:47:08 PM »
That's really neat, looks like it was meant to be there.

You'd never know it was a guy bodging modding...... :nrocks:

Well done, I'm sure you'll fine tune it easy enough... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 06:10:07 PM »
I am impressed! :thumbup:

Straight up and straight down for the lever positions looks fine to my eyes and I think I would have designed it that way myself as that would give maximum travel of the lever and the best 'feel' for when making the selection, just my opinion.  Furthermore I expect having the 180 degree travel means the shifter is effectively locked in position by the eccentric?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:14:34 PM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline mickn

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 04:07:38 AM »
Nice work!
Makes a nice little machine a nicer little machine! well done

Mick

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 04:07:26 PM »
Thanks

John you got it in one I made the eccentric larger and that made the travel smaller about 40-45 degrees but then the spring lock had to take all the force and there was a small amount of movement/vibration on the selector when running. 

So back to straight up and down.

To the people contemplating this mod - not difficult and it makes a big noise differance- even if you dont plan any LH threads.  Most of you would be able to make it in a day.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »
Gerhard,  :thumbup:
From the den of The Artful Bodger