The Shop > Tools

online tool suppliers (UK)

(1/5) > >>

28ten:
I went along to my local supplier of engineering tools and fastenings today only to find he is closing at the end of the week   :( which is a pain because they have been very helpful and I try to use them whenever possible  :bang:
So it looks like I am going to be buying everything online, I normally use RDG, chronos or Arc euro, are there any other online shops you recommend?

bogstandard:
I have just ordered some bits this morning from Gloster tooling. Retail therapy.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Gloster-Tooling__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Great service from them, ordered 10 o'clock, had an email saying it was dispatched at 11am. I will get it first thing in the morning.
They are a very good supplier, but a little limited in what they carry. It is the only place I have found that do the ball raced nuts for ER collet systems. Some good prices, especially for certain collets.

Chronos is a dead loss if you go for the free carriage option, it can turn up weeks later, and their website is way out of date with regards to stock control. You can order something, pay for it online, then get a phone call saying what you have ordered is out of stock. Then it is about another week before you get the money refunded. That is what happened this morning when I ordered a D1-4 backplate from them. So I went to Gloster tooling, and paid a couple of squid extra.

RDG is getting a little expensive over the last year or so, ever since they moved to new premises. But still have a few bargains. The backplate I was after was more expensive, and their carrier is unable to get overnight delivery to me, even though they say it will be. A day wasted, waiting in for delivery that never seems to turn up on time.

Arc Euro, even though limited in what they carry, are good, honest and fast suppliers, with a true overnight delivery, and very reasonable prices. If it is only a small part, the overnight carriage is very small, whereas most others charge full wack. They have really got their act together with regards to shipping. They also carry a few bits of tooling that is specially commissioned for them, and unavailable elsewhere.

I have tried most of the others for the hobby market, and most leave a lot to be desired, but I do use a couple of 'industrial' ones, that do seem expensive at the time, but every so often they have offers you just can't refuse, or that special tool you just can't get anywhere else.

John

John Hill:
I know what you mean guys, the last good tool shop in this city closed last week, actually they merged and moved to the premises of another in the next town, so no more pressing my nose against their shopfront window at lunchtime!

We have a few on-line suppliers peddling Chinese tools but if I want anything made in the UK or US I have to buy it from the on-line auctions or do what my ancestors did and that was send away for it and be patient.

raynerd:
Chronos - I have made two orders with these before Christmas using the free or cheap delivery option and both came literally about 10+ days later - it was awful! I am sure others have had much better experiences, I think I was unlucky.

RDG - have been more than helpful with me when I go in to the shop in person so I use them whenever I can and normally go in a buy something from them every weekend or so. I have found they are not so reliable with the delivery of their own stock so you wait longer than expected for things that our out of stock to come back in.

ArcEuro - I have only made one order with them and it was as described and fast delivery. Don`t know why I don`t use them more.

Macc Moddels I used a few weeks ago for some bar stock that I couldn`t get at RDG. They were very quick delivery and helpful on the phone.

Then my local suppliers - Rothwells and K-Supplies - rotherwells particularly excellent for fasteners.

They are the only suppliers I have used... but I know that most people on here will have made many more orders than I have with all of these!!

28ten:
My experiences with chronos have been similar, but they usually have quite a wide range, which can save ordering from two separate suppliers.
I forgot about Macc, I have had a couple of small orders from them.
Bogs
Gloster tooling isn't too far from me so that would save on postage.
I shall spend this evening looking for a set of ER25 collets and a 6mm to 10mm drill set

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version