Author Topic: More retail therapy  (Read 4677 times)

bogstandard

More retail therapy
« on: September 08, 2009, 01:35:10 PM »
Hacking about on ebay the other day I came across a bit of kit I had been after for a long time. A very good quality mechanical tacho.

I have had an electronic one for a long time, but they are sometimes very limited. Sticking relectors on shafts and being given false readings under flouro lights to name a couple.

This was a Smiths 'Venture' set, hardly ever used and had been recalibrated earlier this year, good for 50K RPM. Cost 21 squid.

While I was making the bid, I had a look at what else he had to offer. So I put a very low bid (minimum) on a lump of 4" X 2" graphite block and a 1ft length of 1" ali bar. I won the lot. Everything for 29 squid including overnight carrier delivery (6 squid).

A very good find methinks.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: More retail therapy
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »
Yes, a very good find John.

But sadly it's also why we are finding less and less on Ebay these days.......new stuff, sure plenty of that. Old diamonds, very little of those about any more.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 03:04:22 PM »
Darren,

I think a lot of it is to do with people wanting to make a quick buck.

A woman around the corner from me buys stuff off ebay, then puts it up again for sale straight away at a much higher price.

Unlike someone like myself, who wants to use the equipment, and give it a good home.

That is how you get a seller with a load of bras and pants for sale, also selling the odd item of technical stuff.

Before I buy anything, I always look to see what else they are offering. If it ain't technically orientated, they know nothing about what they have, so it could be any old junk, and I avoid them like the plague, unless of course there is a very good photo and description, and you can see it is OK, then you can get yourself a bargain because again, they know not what they have.
So it is definitely buyer beware.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »
Nothing wrong with making a quick buck John. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to find hardly anything of interest.
I don't care who's selling. If it's what I want in the condition I want it then I buy it if the price is reflective.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:31:58 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 05:19:22 PM »
BS .......... you obviously realise we all hate you now  :(

Jammy sod  :beer:

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 05:50:09 PM »
That is the problem Darren, in the condition you want.

I have bought stuff off ebay from anywhere, paid a reasonable price, and when it arrives, junk.

No use complaining as all you get is, didn't you look at the picture or it was OK when it left here, put a claim in against the carrier.

That is why I always try to look for a technical person selling what I want, and ask the right questions. Never had any problems at all doing it that way.

I have a few more small bids in now, if they make it then OK, if they don't, also OK.

Dave,

You had exactly the same chance as me.

Don't bid, don't get.

Now I can gloat  :D :) :D :) :D :)

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:59:02 PM »
Yes, I can understand your reasoning John. I tend to use the "ask the seller a question" feature as a lot can be gained from that.....

My mill came from such a question and the chap wasn't even selling a mill at the time...... :)

But I'm also a great believer in hunting down those badly listed items where the seller has no clue as to what they are selling.....a nice RT went recently for as good as nothing cos he stated the jaws were missing....

I should have bid on it to make a quick buck...... (insert the duck smiley here)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 07:51:43 PM »
Ooo, oooo John..... Have you got the destructions with that?

I've got one in a box I picked up from a car booty, and no destructions. Not such a fancy case as yours though! Never did know what wheel gave what result etc.... Been in a draw for bout 3 years!

At least you'll be able to show me how it works.... Hopefully  :thumbup:

Nice bits of material too  :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!